what lift height do I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Top of the rear axle tube to the bottom of the frame is 16 inches for me. I measured from the tube to in between the rear u shaped rubber snub mount. That is with a 4 inch block and 2 inch add a leaf on my rear end. I hope this helps.

I say lose the body lift for sure.

BTW- I have a half ton GMC with a 12 bolt rear end. My lift kit was bought in 1986 and is a Rugged Trail lift kit. That company is no longer in business either. Good Lift kit though. You can look in the under construction section for pictures of the truck.

Yep that is bang on for a 1/2 ton. Stock measurement is 10" same as mine would be. I guess mine has sagged a bit cause it reads 15 1/2" for mine with 4" blocks and 2" add a leafs.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh its a 6" body lift ok well ya its like Bob says about 11-12" of total lift

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Means you have either a 6 1/2" lift if it is using 3/4 ton springs with 2" add a leafs and 4" blocks or 6" blocks with an extra leaf or two thrown into the pack

Or

It is a 7.5" lift with 1/2 ton springs with 5 1/2" blocks and 2" add a leafs

You should measure the blocks to se what they are ?

Maybe you said it was all springs with no blocks I dunno lol

But basically it is 6 1/2" over a stock 3/4 ton or 7 1/2" over a stock 1/2 ton

So with a 3" body lift you have about 9-10" of total lift

I don't have any blocks under springs. Just springs and a body lift....

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I don't have any blocks under springs. Just springs and a body lift....

You have 7 1/2" of lift. So its a slightly sagged 8" lift. It doesn't look like you have a 6" body lift it looks more like 4" Did you measure the body lift? If so from where to where?

Post some pics of the front steering linkage

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Yes it's a 6 inch body lift. I measured the blocks. The guy put 6 inch pieces of pipes for the blocks. When you mean steering linkage do you mean the drop pitman arm or the actual steering column shaft?

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Don5. I'm gonna take the body lift off but my main goal here is trying to figure out just the height of the suspension lift. I'm trying to figure out why my bumper is so high and how to get it lower to make it legal. Unless I can get it inspected then I'll just leave it alone haha if I could get some people to measure some of there bumper and fender heights that would be great. Body lifts don't effect the bumpers at all. So if my fenders are 52" high I MI us the 6" body and end up with 46". But what I need to know is how high is 46" coinciding with my 36" is over stock hight. If other people have trucks about that high that should tell me what I have....

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Here is a pic of my 17" measurement

Attachments

• 20150616_081623.jpg
    20150616_081623.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 192

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The 6" blocks

Attachments

• 20150616_081647.jpg
    20150616_081647.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 132

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Sorry don't know why the pics are sideways lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes it's a 6 inch body lift. I measured the blocks. The guy put 6 inch pieces of pipes for the blocks. When you mean steering linkage do you mean the drop pitman arm or the actual steering column shaft?

Ya the pitman arm, drag link and steering arm please. I see the pics of your body lift. ok 6"s it is.

I say its an 8" lift because your front springs are arched more than my 6" springs are.

Its hard to say any thing by measuring bumpers because there is variables from truck to truck from axle tube diameters and wheel and tire diameter. so the only consistent measurement is the amount of lift from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame.

Smaller tires will drop your bumper height. What is legal and where is yours currently?

If you drop your tire size by 1" your bumper height will drop 1/2"

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Ya the pitman arm, drag link and steering arm please. I see the pics of your body lift. ok 6"s it is.

I say its an 8" lift because your front springs are arched more than my 6" springs are.

Its hard to say any thing by measuring bumpers because there is variables from truck to truck from axle tube diameters and wheel and tire diameter. so the only consistent measurement is the amount of lift from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame.

Smaller tires will drop your bumper height. What is legal and where is yours currently?

If you drop your tire size by 1" your bumper height will drop 1/2"

My bumper is about 35" right now. PA law is 30...

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
well your have 36" swampers probably more like 35" in reality so you would have to drop to a 25" tire to get your bumper down to 30" lol

OKOK so my stock 3/4 ton with 31" tires measures 22" to the bottom of the rear bumper which would theoretically leave room for an 8" lift BUT you add correction shims and all of the sudden you are at 30 1/2" !!!

So I would say find a set of the smallest tires you can find like 28-29" and go for inspection other wise with your current 36" tires you would limit you to a 3" lift

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
But you said yours is 35" which doesn't really add up. Hmmm is the bumper lifted too. Maybe that's why it looks like a 4" body lift if they lifted the bumper a couple inches ?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Post some pictures of your bumper brackets

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya with 36" tires and 8" of lift your bumper should be 30 1/2" to the bottom of bumper to the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76