What kind of jack are you using????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

throttle out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Please pardon my ignorance, but what are you guys using to lift your 4x4s by the frame???
My jack doesn't come close to getting my truck off it's suspension and I'm at factory height. My spring and shackle bushings in the front are seized up bigger than **** and I'm neck deep into my LS swap, so funds are tight. I know I can spend $200 + on a new high lift jack, but in all honesty, once I'm done with the repairs I will probably rarely ever use it again. If any of you have any clever ideas I could really use the insight!!

Thanks in advance!
Sammy

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
what are you lifting it for? Can you lift by the axle and then use stands under the frame?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Wood blocks and high jack stands is what i have been using instead of the high lift jack

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Please pardon my ignorance, but what are you guys using to lift your 4x4s by the frame???
My jack doesn't come close to getting my truck off it's suspension and I'm at factory height. My spring and shackle bushings in the front are seized up bigger than **** and I'm neck deep into my LS swap, so funds are tight. I know I can spend $200 + on a new high lift jack, but in all honesty, once I'm done with the repairs I will probably rarely ever use it again. If any of you have any clever ideas I could really use the insight!!

Thanks in advance!
Sammy

Hi Lift or aka Farm Jacks are only $50. If you do any kind of serious wheeling at all, it's not a bad idea to have one anyway in case of getting stuck and needing it. You can bolt it down behind the seat or in the bed somewhere, or even under the truck, but if you get stuck the right way, then you may not be able to get to it.

As far as for now, are you using a floor jack? Can you not get under the rear differential housing or the front axle tube? If you're going to the frame or shackles, then you lose alot waiting for spring travel before you get lift.

throttle out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Funny, I thought the stands I have were a high lift type, but now I'm pretty sure is what was throwing me off lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
These cheap 6 ton jack stands from Harbor Freight work fairly well for our truck. DO NOT use the 3 ton stands. They will bend over. I'd put nothing more than an Impala on the 3 tons stands, but the 6 tons have more height to them and I've not heard of anyone having problems with them. IIRC, I used a super coupon to buy mine and got them for $30. If you can hold off this time and get by with blocks or something else that's safe, keep an eye on these go on Super Coupon sale. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-steel-jack-stands-61197.html

Here's the Hi Lift Farm Off Road Jack for $54.99. I see it on sale often for $50 then you can use one of the 20% off single item coupons and get it for $40. I was lucky and got mine from a vehicle donated to charity via Copart with permission from the donor to keep it since it was not going to raise value of the vehicle. Tow operator perks !!! http://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch-3-1-2-half-ton-farm-jack-6530.html

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
For just repairs at home, put a floor jack under the axles and block the frame up like said. I've got some 2'x2' logs that work great in conjunction with some 2"x4" blocks or some jack stands.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I made a set of blocks out of some leftover 2x6's to help add height to the jack stands.

Built these purely for the purpose of lifting the truck and holding it by the rear frame/bumper when I was completing my 4in lift.

Jack stands I have are the normal 3ton ones from harbor freight. They do alright, just dont have much height to them. Also use a 5 ton floor jack with rapid pump til it has resistance.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man