What is this that I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright, could this be a stupid question? Yes, yes it could. Could I sound stupid while asking it? Yes, yes I may. Are rhetorical questions annoying? Wait a minute...

So under my dash there is a small vacuum (idk) switch or actuator. It has something to do with the heat and opens a floor facing duct (which I'm missing a piece of apparently upon looking at the pics pinned above). Anyway, this little vacuum thing has snapped off and is just dangling there. So I would like to fix it. What is it and what all will I need to fix it correctly? Here is a pic for reference stolen from the stickies thread above. The vacuum thing on the far left is what's snapped off.

You must be registered for see images

I apologize for my lack of mechanical knowledge in advance. I do my best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I believe that's the actuator that moves the flap to direct air to upper dash when the defroster is turned on. Did the actuator break off the housing?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You must be living right!

That (defrost/floor damper actuator) is the only actuator that can be serviced without pulling the entire airhandling system out.

The actuators are held in place by 2 nuts that screw on to the mounting studs. The studs extend out of the actuator body and pass through the casing. When you remove the nuts, the actuator arm can be slid off the damper arm link pin.

To release the nuts, you can come up from the bottom. If that doesn't work out, you could also try accessing them by opening the end of the back panel. There is a bit of a gap between the back panel and the firewall that should allow you to pry it open (if the 2 screws at the end are removed). With it pried open, you should be able to get a wrench on them

Here are some images showing what I mean:

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Where to get this actuator - it's hard to find. Nalley's has them for $28. Item 1 in the dwg below:

001 ACTUATOR. AIR CONDITIONING (A/C) Vacuum Control. A. C. Vacuum Control. Air Inlet and Outlet.
ACTUATOR,AIR CONDITIONING AIR RECIRCULATING VALVE,AIR INLET*REPL 1996604. Required: 01
For: C5,6,7 97 BBC (1983-1987) (1983 - 1987). $28.63

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2480782&ukey_assembly=429897

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Awesome info you guys. Thanks for those pics Jerry. This things has been driving me crazy since I got the truck. The previous owner had it wrapped in tin foil just dangling from under the dash like a disco ball.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, I attempted to order said actuator from gmpd yesterday. Got an email today canceling my order due to part unavailability. So I just placed an order at Nalley's. We shall see if they actually have them.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That's why I said; "it's hard to find".

Just go to the junkyard and pull one. You'll get it for like $5 and you will also get to do a practice R & R. Who knows, you might find something else you need for the truck while you are under the dash.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah, I'll put it on the list. I have other salvage yard needs anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD