What is this on the intake? Is it needed? Getting ready to tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Sprenger

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7L
Hey guys, have a ’82 K20 with the 350 and I swapped out the qjet with an edelbrock 1406. Also have headers on the truck so EGR has been removed. I am trying to get the remaining vacuum lines squared away. Right now I have the PCV tied into the front vacuum port on the carb and the distributor tied into the ported vacuum on the front. Will be hooking up the brake booster to the rear of the carb vacuum. Now my question is in the below picture what is the pipe coming out of this plate on the stock carb? (this isn’t my intake just a pic I found) And do I need it if so what should it be tied into? If it is not needed is there a block off plate I can put in its location?

I know I still have to tie my modulator valve for my th400 into the intake or maybe the right side vacuum port on the 1406 since it is manifold vacuum.

Is there anything I am missing for this swap? Ordered the thrush exhaust system and want to tune the carb this weekend.

I am figuring most of the sensors like temp and all that on my stock air cleaner won’t work because I removed the stock headers. Could I just swap it out to an edelbrock air cleaner?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I can't see a pic there.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
If you aren't changing intakes, you might need an adapter plate.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's for the choke on a Q-Jet..

Last edited:

K5freak

Reaction score
First Name