whacked column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Some years ago some people tried to steal my truck. The cop said they must have wanted to take it for a "joy ride". Obviously they didn't know what they were doing because they weren't familiar with the column of a '74 Chevy C10 well enough to know what they were looking for. I guess they had a hammer, a large screw driver, and maybe a pair of channel locks to pull on stuff. I don't know what they had but one thing for sure is they beat my column apart. The upper housing was laying in pieces on the floor and a large part of the lower housing was just loose on the column that I had to remove later on.
So in the insueing days afterwards I had to figure out how to "rig" it so I could drive the truck and not wreck the thing. I had to put the turn signal on the outside of the column with a screw: *see first photo*
Then I had to put a bolt in where the shift lever would have been because they had beaten that part of the shifter shaft. It had a part of the upper part damaged, and the lower column housing was broken bad. So this is what I came up with: *see second photo*.
And basically bolt and strap the thing together where it would stay straight enough to be able to steer it: *see third photo* .
I have another column coming that's like the original column with column shift and the gear selection in the little window there (seen above the column in the second photo) below the tach and speedo with the turn signal windows (the little round openings for the light to shine through on each side of the gear indicator window).
You must be registered for see images attach

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey, can someone help me out here? I've just now learned how to load photos but I still don't know how to do it right. Why does it have the photo in regular size but when I post the thread it loads a larger version of the same photo. I don't understand what is going on and don't have enough computer knowledge to know how to do much.
Also, how do I continue the text under a photo. It's not letting me continue the text under a photo and move on with my story to a point wher another photo would be inserted. How do I do that? Is the direction in one of those icons in this tool bar above? Or what?

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
First off, damn that is ****** up. Didn't they know you can steal these with a screwdriver?

You can insert the pics anywhere really. It helps if you have some text before you start inserting pictures but I only use my phone so with a mouse you could probably have better accuracy on where you are selecting. It is hard for my phone to register the click after the pictures if there isn't text or if a couple enters haven't been hit.

If on a computer the easiest would probably be to type your text and then load your pictures. Put the cursor, the blinking line where the text comes from, where you want the pic and then select the 'full image' it is red rectangle next to the picture.
Here's a squirrel.

I typed a message, selected a pic, selected 'full image' after I typed 'here's a squirrel' and hit enter a couple times after to start this sentence.

Hope this helps. :happy160:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh okay, gotyourgoat, I didn't think a "full size" would be the regular size. I've been just up loading the pics but for some reason it's been automatically loading both the regular size and then a repeat of the full size. I don't know. I'll try what you were telling me. I don't have a phone, I'm one of those 'ol guys who doesn't have a phone.

Okay, Grit dog, Here's the rest of the dash and there's a good photo of my engine in "cold radiator" I think, or where ever you can find "Matt69olds", him and a couple of guys were coaching me on how to put photos on this site, and I thank you guys a lot. Here's my engine in here to:

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Well if you don't select where the cursor is and click full size to manually decide where they go I believe the system will just put them all after the text. So you don't have to manually place them if you don't want to. You asked how to insert them within the text so thats why I was explaining that method.

I'm no spring chicken, just do not use a computer. Wife has one I've never touched.

Holy gauges batman! There's a lot of switches happening too. Jesus I have three that function. Two that function properly.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
First off, damn that is ****** up. Didn't they know you can steal these with a screwdriver?

You can insert the pics anywhere really. It helps if you have some text before you start inserting pictures but I only use my phone so with a mouse you could probably have better accuracy on where you are selecting. It is hard for my phone to register the click after the pictures if there isn't text or if a couple enters haven't been hit.

If on a computer the easiest would probably be to type your text and then load your pictures. Put the cursor, the blinking line where the text comes from, where you want the pic and then select the 'full image' it is red rectangle next to the picture.
Here's a squirrel.

I typed a message, selected a pic, selected 'full image' after I typed 'here's a squirrel' and hit enter a couple times after to start this sentence.

Hope this helps. :happy160:
Great to see someone helping a fellow forum member, especially with this computer stuff, a BIG thumbs up !

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah, you bet Dave M!

See, I worked on big turbo prop, and passenger jets for the commercial airlines for seven years and have loved airplanes since I was a little kid. So when i was thinking about what i wanted my truck to look like the first thing in my head was, "an airplane". I wanted as many gauges as I could fit into the dash area so i sacrificed the upper a/c vent for the water and vacuum gauge, and the drivers side a/c vent for switches for all the gauges. Each switch turns lights on two gauges. But what was cool was the back of the factory dash, plastic, was these cone shapes behind the factory gauge opening. I cut those cones off and the 2 5/8" Autometer fit perfectly. I didn't have to do anything with the speedo and the tach, the 3 1/2 (I think) fit right in like it was made for it. Also Autometer. They are all "Sport Comp" style gauges. I have three more I already have and have made backings for, also Autometer but haven't figured out where to put them without doing some real cutting and I don't want to do that. They are a Trans. temp., a oil temp., and trans. pressure gauges. Just for fun thinking about gauges would be a, head temp., differential fluid temp. gauges but then we're starting to look like a semi-tractor rig with all the gauges. Now, one I could include for sure would be, manifold pressure gauge but that's already on the truck as a vacuum gauge, same thing. I used to have a "accelorometer" showing both positive and negative. Half the gauge shows how much positive G-forces you were generating upon acceleration, and the other half would show deceleration negative G-forces upon braking.

Second pic is a vacuum and front oil pressure coming off that little 1/8" plug removed and oil line plumed into oil gauge. I have a tach in the engine compartment in front of thr MSD 6A and the MSD timing control boxes over the inner wheel well.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well heck, the order was different. I'll take a clearer pic of the tach and post it. I can do carb and ignition tune ups on the side of the road!

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well heck, the order was different. I'll take a clearer pic of the tach and post it. I can do carb and ignition tune ups on the side of the road!
Good to see your getting the hang of it all, have you sorted out that avatar picture yet.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The name decal has wore off of this instrument but it's a Autometer "fuel pressure isolator". What it does is, if you are going to have fuel pressure inside the cab or compartment with you, you can't have gasoline inside the cab with you....duh! So Autometer has the "fuel pressure gauge" come with the isolator already
attached with the gauge. You attach the fuel line to one side of the isolator and on the other side that has a line that goes inside, has ethline glycol in it. That's right boys and girls, anti-freeze! I guess they have this firgured out that the pressure from ethline glycol has the same or near density as gas and will register the pressure the same.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Dave M,
No, I haven't tried yet. I'll have to go back and read it again and then try it.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Dave M,
Well, I went to my profile page and I didn't see anything on there directing me to do photos, and I did everything I could to get the pic I wanted and it just wouldn't work. So unless one of ya'll knows more detail about how to put the pic in the avitar, I guess I'll just have that nutty male symbol from now on.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
where you see your name top right of screen ( next to inbox and alerts) double click on your name "Raider L"
This should take you to your personal details page.
you should see the square with the male gender logo, click on that and see what happens. somewhere it should ask you to put your own avatar there, and to browse your computer for your picture want.
**** !, it would be easier for me to explain how to replace the points on a '32 V8 side valve ford, rather than give computer advice.
Perhaps someone can chime in here and help ----- please-----.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
At top of page where it says Raider L , Inbox, Alerts click on Raider L -then on left side of drop down box you will see Avatar - click that and then choose file from your pics on computer.:cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512