Well The Blazer Broke Down..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87BlazerBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 350
I was going to a trail tonight,and just before i got on the highway the truck starts cutting out then dies. So I try starting it and it runs for about 2 seconds and dies and would not start again. So I get it pushed into a gas station,and get my friend with a jeep to pull me home. So I try starting it again. It sputters a little so I try again giving it throttle and it roars to life. So giving it about quarter throttle it runs fine. Anything under that runs like ****,and turns off when you get too low. So it shut off,tried started again,nothing.
I think it is a sensor (don't know what it was called) but sometimes the truck surges like hell at low RPM,so I guess it just got to the point so it's not going to run.
Any help would be appreciated.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Module in the Distributor. Take it out have them test it at the parts store, when it passes cold have them heat it up with a heat gun and it will more then Likely fail.

87BlazerBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 350
I already replaced the ignition module before when i was at a freind's house and i turned it off and when i was leaving it wouldn't start back up. Turned out to be ignition module and it ran fine,other the the occasional surge

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
"Well the Blazer broke down..."

Thats a common thing for me to say as well :(

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I already replaced the ignition module before when i was at a freind's house and i turned it off and when i was leaving it wouldn't start back up. Turned out to be ignition module and it ran fine,other the the occasional surge

No offense but it sounds like your problem occurs as the motor is warmed up, There are 2 things that generally cause that Module, and a coil, It could be either even though you already replaced the module doesnt mean that hasnt failed again.

Usually when a coild goes it just goes not just on low RPM's another thing to check would be the Distributor Drive gear. They can also cause some hedaches and are OFTEN overlooked

87BlazerBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 350
No offense but it sounds like your problem occurs as the motor is warmed up, There are 2 things that generally cause that Module, and a coil, It could be either even though you already replaced the module doesnt mean that hasnt failed again.

Usually when a coild goes it just goes not just on low RPM's another thing to check would be the Distributor Drive gear. They can also cause some hedaches and are OFTEN overlooked

Well it used to surge when the motor was cold and then it would occasionally surge while low rpm driving,now it refuses to start,but if i try for a while it will start and barley or not run at low RPM. Could it be idle air control valve?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The IAC will make it not want to idle but you can keep it running pretty good with your foot. I would check the fuel filter/fuel pump.

87BlazerBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 350
That's the problem,I can rev it and it runs normally,but at an idle it refuses to run. Yea it could be the filter too,but the pump is turning on when i turn the key on

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
OK if it runs good enough to drive it with 2 feet but wont idle I would get some carb & choke cleaner and clean the IAC, they can get pretty sooty. Be sure to wear eye protection, when you spray that stuff in there it'll shoot right back out, straight into your eyeballs. Ask me how I know this lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd also be checking for Vac leaks, and especially around the throttle body. Just get some carb cleaner, WD-40, or start fluid and spray around the TB and see if it smoothes out. Might be tough to do, if it won't idle at all now. WD-40 kinda leaves a mess but will burn off eventually, Start fluid can be hard on a motor if used to much but it discipates nicely and don't leave a mess, carb cleaner will burn off too.
IAC clean would be first thing to check though.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
OK if it runs good enough to drive it with 2 feet but wont idle I would get some carb & choke cleaner and clean the IAC, they can get pretty sooty. Be sure to wear eye protection, when you spray that stuff in there it'll shoot right back out, straight into your eyeballs. Ask me how I know this lol.

Lol I know this feeling well too

Do the brake cleaner dance!

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Checked for codes? Those tbi units are known for the gasket under the t-body spliting and causing vacc leaks.Tbi fuel pressure= 9-13 psi on small blocks,higher on 454s like 15psi.Got acess to a scan tool? check map sensor about 4.5 volts koeo,about 0.80 engine running.Split vacc line to map also check.All the other problems concerning ignition looks to have been covered.PM me if ya need more help..

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
when you had the cap off the dist was it clean or brown? the early tbi motors had a lot of dist problems

87BlazerBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 350
replaced iac,didnt help exchanged it for map sensor,didnt help. There is a vaccum line (I think manifold vaccum or somethine,saw it on a diagram) that is unplugged. for the life of me i cant find out where it goes, it's not long and when i put my finger on it to block it off it made no difference when the truck is running. so i donno..

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Troubleshooting is a pain in the balls, good ideas here though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wacky