Water-logged 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is it common for Vortec heads to crack? My buddy bought a Vortec motor for the heads and one of them was cracked. For the price everyone wants for Vortec's around here, I could buy a new set from Summit... :disgust:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
They are susceptible to crack from overheating more so than old heavier castings. There's just so little material in them now. How much are you seeing them for locally? I got mine pretty cheap at $200. Not only that, if you could get a pair of really dirt cheap cracked heads there is an ebay vendor that sells remanned Vortec heads for around $250 + core, free shipping and free return shipping in the box your new ones arrive in. So you could have a pair of like new Vortec heads for less than $500 if you got a cheap pair locally.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Closer to $400 for a pair that still needs machine work done and may or may not have cracks.

That's why I was considering using the heads I have.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll also throw in that I already have an Edelbrock intake for non-Vortec heads, so that would be one less thing to buy.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Stopped by the local machine shop over lunch. They don't polish or grind cranks. :wtf: He wouldn't quote me a price on replacing the one rocker arm stud.

Bore - $18.90/hole

Rod resize - $10.50/rod

Valve job - $4.20/valve

Check rods for straightness - $2-3/rod

Install pistons on rods - $7.35/piston

Install cam bearings - $5.25/bearing

I think the machine shop back home is waaay cheaper. Plus I'm pretty sure he will polish the crank.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Go get that motor dude.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just go get it. GO GET IT !!! Even if ONLY 1 head is good, it's a steal. could have a rod thru the block you hope then that means both heads are good. Just go get it. Or even if both heads are junk, it's still a roller short block core.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
He just txt me back. His exact words were "I believe it's rebuildable there is no holes in it I would definitely have the heads checked I don't know on them cause it's still together"

Hmm...:hmm:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just go get it. GO GET IT !!! Even if ONLY 1 head is good, it's a steal. could have a rod thru the block you hope then that means both heads are good. Just go get it.

Lol. OKAY! :rofl: I think I will.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lol. OKAY! :rofl: I think I will.

$75 is worth it, even if something is bad. That's a roller block. Even if the heads are junk. But, make sure it's Vortec and not TBI.

Well, he says it's from a 98, so that is Vortec year. Do you know what you're looking at? Can you tell the differecne of TBI and SFI?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
****, even the front brackets to convert to a Serpentine belt on your old V belt set up, it's worth it. I just don't see how you can wrong with that deal. And then you have another motor to disect.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
$75 is worth it, even if something is bad. That's a roller block. Even if the heads are junk. But, make sure it's Vortec and not TBI.

Well, he says it's from a 98, so that is Vortec year. Do you know what you're looking at? Can you tell the differecne of TBI and SFI?

****, even the front brackets to convert to a Serpentine belt on your old V belt set up, it's worth it. I just don't see how you can wrong with that deal. And then you have another motor to disect.

I told him I would take it. He says the whole serpantine setup is there which I figured was worth the $75 alone. And as long as the intake is on it, I can tell the difference between a Vortec and a TBI. TBI would still be worth the $75 don't you think? It'd still be a roller block and have the serpantine belt setup, right?

Plus like you said, it's another motor to practice taking apart if it is bad.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I told him I would take it. He says the whole serpantine setup is there which I figured was worth the $75 alone. And as long as the intake is on it, I can tell the difference between a Vortec and a TBI. TBI would still be worth the $75 don't you think? It'd still be a roller block and have the serpantine belt setup, right?

Plus like you said, it's another motor to practice taking apart if it is bad.

Yep, I agree. Just for the Serpantine setup, I'd take it for $75. Keep in mind, if you do that set up, you need to use that water pump too cuz the rotation is backwards of a V belt set up. Hell yeah it's worth it, even if TBI. If it's TBI, it's still roller compatible, but likely not roller. Most were bossed for rollertrain, but not drilled and tapped for it. Nonetheless, if it's a 98 350, then it's Vortec.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Awesome! Thanks for the help. :High 5:

I'll take some pics when I get it, but it'll be a bit since it's a little over an hour away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB