Washer fluid??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SASKCHEYENNE75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4bbl
Good morning everyone,

I am having issues with my washer/wiper switch and wanted some advice. I cant turn on my wiper blades without my washer coming on as well. The washer fluid pumps out fine and sprays evenly however comes on every time my wipers do....even when I don't want them to. I imagine its the switch in the dash??

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

1975 Chev C10 Cheyenne
350 4bbl

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I know exactly what you are referring to - unfortunately, I do not know the exact fix.

What I can tell you to try - and it is free :) - is to pull the 2 prong black wire off the washer pump and make sure the connections are clean & tight.

If you pull both connectors off you can remove the black cover and see the spring and dog leg arm that powers the squirters. They are supposed to run like 5 cycles and then shut off.

Goldie will do that if it is above say 65 or so degrees, but usually when colder will pull your exact stunt.

Sometimes pulling those wires off stops it - not convenient if driving.

Sometimes fiddling with the wiper switch on the dash will solve it by putting it on mist a couple of times ( I have delay wipers ).

And, as a rule of thumb, I don't jack with them when cold until after I have put a few miles on the highway and the underhood temps have risen.

No idea why that makes a difference - possibly lube getting gummed up and when it heats the right temp it does as it should but that is a WAG.

Hopefully someone here has a link to the FSM diagnostics - my '81 manual has them, but I do not have it handy, and have been too lazy to really dig into it.

I can tell you that a new wiper switch ( from LMC ) made no difference on mine, so don't waste your time - or money.

Britt

SASKCHEYENNE75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4bbl
I know exactly what you are referring to - unfortunately, I do not know the exact fix.

What I can tell you to try - and it is free :) - is to pull the 2 prong black wire off the washer pump and make sure the connections are clean & tight.

If you pull both connectors off you can remove the black cover and see the spring and dog leg arm that powers the squirters. They are supposed to run like 5 cycles and then shut off.

Goldie will do that if it is above say 65 or so degrees, but usually when colder will pull your exact stunt.

Sometimes pulling those wires off stops it - not convenient if driving.

Sometimes fiddling with the wiper switch on the dash will solve it by putting it on mist a couple of times ( I have delay wipers ).

And, as a rule of thumb, I don't jack with them when cold until after I have put a few miles on the highway and the underhood temps have risen.

No idea why that makes a difference - possibly lube getting gummed up and when it heats the right temp it does as it should but that is a WAG.

Hopefully someone here has a link to the FSM diagnostics - my '81 manual has them, but I do not have it handy, and have been too lazy to really dig into it.

I can tell you that a new wiper switch ( from LMC ) made no difference on mine, so don't waste your time - or money.

Britt
And that is exactly why I thought I'd ask first rather then go out and buy a new switch!! I will certainly take your advice and try to clean all those connections. Thanks a bunch!

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I replaced my wiper switch because it really did go bad. All was good, until I went out today and flipped on the wipers and the fluid started squirting out and would not stop.

So Saskcheyenne75, did cleaning the connection/contacts work?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I replaced my wiper switch because it really did go bad. All was good, until I went out today and flipped on the wipers and the fluid started squirting out and would not stop.

So Saskcheyenne75, did cleaning the connection/contacts work?

I had the experience a while back with this happening. For me it was the little tiny spring inside the wiper motor that works the pump mechanism. I took the cover off the wiper motor tried to fix it, failed and replaced the motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello