Want to build a good horsepower, good fuel economy engine for a 1978 c20 with stock 350. I don't know much and need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you replace carb Don't get an edelbrock. Try to stay quadrajet.
Because the quadrajet was designed,engineered and calibrated for your engine. There are hundreds of models of qjets. There are a very few edelbrocks,because they are one size fits all. Size 13w shoes will fit almost everyone,but not as well as the correct size. Wait for it, these remarks are coming. When I took off my worn out 40 year old qjet and replaced it with a new Edelbrock my car ran better,got better mpg,etc. They could have used any new carbureator to get better results than a worn out carbureator.

Last edited:

Quinn_Hanifan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quinn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Because the quadrajet was designed,engineered and calibrated for your engine. There are hundreds if models of qjets. There are a very few edelbrocks,because they are one size fits all. Size 13w shoes will fit almost everyone,but not as well as the correct size. Wait for it, these remarks are coming. When I took off my worn out 40 year old qjet and replaced it with a new Edelbrock my car ran better,got better mpg,etc. They could have used any new carbureator to get better results than a worn out carbureator.
So you mean that just because the Edelbrock worked better than the 40-year-old carb, doesn't mean I should get it? Just trying to clarify, lol.
The qjet will be better for my truck because that's what its built for, even if an Edelbrock works just fine compared to my old one, is what you're saying?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Quinn, I reread your title your original plans and original goals,now teamed up with,you want a new carbureator. This is about a simple and budget friendly as you are going to get, go to pick n pull ,preferably on 1/2 price day. Pull a complete l31 vortec engine,transmission ECM and as much wiring as you can snag. Now you've got a Vortec engine,steeper 1st gear, and over drive. The Vortec engine bolts in,bolt for bolt. The modern engine management is going to be a night and day difference on drivabilty and mpg. If you add a small cam and headers to equation,you are going to think you have the fastest truck in your state. Measure your driveshaft get 1 an inch shorter hopefully out of the donor,relocate your transmission crossmember,and buy an appropriate fuel pump. You can wiki l31 vehicles there's tons of them

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So you mean that just because the Edelbrock worked better than the 40-year-old carb, doesn't mean I should get it? Just trying to clarify, lol.
The qjet will be better for my truck because that's what its built for, even if an Edelbrock works just fine compared to my old one, is what you're saying?
I'm saying the Edelbrock will work better than a worn out carbureator but not as well as the original carbureator. If I just had to stay carbureated, and didn't want a qjet,for whatever reason, I'd go Holley. Why because any monkey with a screw driver and a vacuum gauge can dial in a Holley. ( sorry monkeys )

Quinn_Hanifan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quinn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm saying the Edelbrock will work better than a worn out carbureator but not as well as the original carbureator. If I just had to stay carbureated, and didn't want a qjet,for whatever reason, I'd go Holley. Why because any monkey with a screw driver and a vacuum gauge can dial in a Holley. ( sorry monkeys )
Understood, I'm probably just gonna go for a qjet then. Where would be the best place to look?

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@Quinn_Hanifan so I gather you are young and don't know a lot about your rig, BUT you have to do some of your own legwork, we can't do it all for you. Obviously you are somewhat computer savvy or you wouldn't be here. So use your smarts and Google or Facebook or wiki or whatever and check some things out. NOT trying to being a hard ass, but you gotta work for it a little????

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've heard good things about national carbureators,but I always rebuild my own,so I have no personal expierience. If you want to attempt to build one, there are a couple of good books on it. Cliff Ruggles and Doug Roe both wrote good books,I'd probably direct you to Cliff though. Don't let throttle shaft bushings scare you. That's going to be the next thing people throw in to the mix.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Got my quadrajet from nationalcarbureators.com

I went with level 2 because I have cam, intake and headers on mine. I'd suggest that you call them and tell them what you're looking for. They're very helpful and will set you up with the right quadrajet for your needs. That's what I did. And it will come ready to install right out of the box too.

Quinn_Hanifan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quinn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Quinn_Hanifan so I gather you are young and don't know a lot about your rig, BUT you have to do some of your own legwork, we can't do it all for you. Obviously you are somewhat computer savvy or you wouldn't be here. So use your smarts and Google or Facebook or wiki or whatever and check some things out. NOT trying to being a hard ass, but you gotta work for it a little????
I 100% understand what you're saying and I agree, I do in fact do a lot of my own research though it may not seem like it. I just prefer to be able to ask real people specific questions about things I may be having a hard time understanding or really just could find beneficial information for. i like to gain info from people and have a conversation, even if it is over a forum. I do appreciate the advice, genuinely.

Quinn_Hanifan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quinn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Alright so i re-did my firing order and now my truck runs again. BUT At idle it sounds really bad and will just die if I don't give any gas. (I don't know the correct term but is controlled by choke) but the main flap(?), like the big one, wont open no matter what unless I manually open it. and even when the engine is warm it doesn't open on its own, which I thought is controlled by the electronic choke. also, the last time I tried to run it, it did the same thing as it usually does and died, but this time I noticed fuel vapor spilling out the top of the carb and a decent gas puddle on my engine. I've looked around and cant really figure out whats going on.

also I don't think this has anything to do with it but my truck is drinking a lot of coolant. might there be a leak somewhere? lots of smoke when I start, but its more blue so that's oil, and sometimes a thick white.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Take a pic of this flap you are talking about, if it 8s actually the choke flap it should be open warm. if it is shut completely now,hold throttle open,then wedge the choke plate open a little, like a pencils width, I use a wooden clothespin but use what you've got. See how it runs then

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli