Ummm is this bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Long story short, I was replacing my rear main seal last night, which is the last piece to the puzzle and I would have been driving my truck again after a couple of months of working on it, to find these little gems in the oil pump screen.

You must be registered for see images attach

The pic isn't that great, but there are 5 metal pieces that look to be piston ring chunks, there as a small leaf, and I'm not sure what the other black bits are, but they are very brittle and NOT metal.

I'm no engine guru, but I'm guessing that I'll have to rebuild the motor very soon, or find a new block since the previous owner had it rebuilt quite a few years back.

It did run and drive really well though prior to me finding this.There was no smoke from the exhaust and no strange noise coming from anywhere.

Any thoughts or comments that you all have is appreciated. Not sure what to do that this point as this is to be my daily, and time is of the essence.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Id say that's not a good sign, a former friend had something similar to this and had spun three main bearings. Maybe someone replaced these already once and didn't clean out the oil and filter etc?

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Id say that's not a good sign, a former friend had something similar to this and had spun three main bearings. Maybe someone replaced these already once and didn't clean out the oil and filter etc?

That's what I'm hoping for, but not sure exactly. Would a compression test determine anything?

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
oil rings? Not good any way you slice it.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Can't hurt to do a compression check, but if its main bearings having spun, you might as well pull the motor and tear it down, you can replace main bearings but that would just be a temp fix, especially if the mounting surfaces are scored or not smooth anymore.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Can't hurt to do a compression check, but if its main bearings having spun, you might as well pull the motor and tear it down, you can replace main bearings but that would just be a temp fix, especially if the mounting surfaces are scored or not smooth anymore.

I'll do it just to be sure. The motor ran awesome before I started working it. No knocking, pinging, or any other noise coming from the motor and no smoke of any kind from the exhaust.

When I changed out the rear main seal, the bearing on the main cap was smooth. There was some slight variation in color, but I couldn't feel anything with my finger whatsoever. That of course doesn't mean that it wasn't there, just that I couldn't feel anything.

Been checking out long blocks on Summit and Jegs and will more than likely go that route if something happens. I'm planning on driving it for a while longer. I have a feeling that when the PO had the motor rebuilt they didn't change out or clean the oil pump and that it's been in there prior to the rebuild. I am hoping this is the case anyway.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The motor definitely needs a rebuild! Don't be so quick to just ditch that motor, depending on how much the cylinders have been bored out you may be able to use it again. If its bored out .30 and it doesn't have a terrible lip you can still bore it out to .60 and be able to get another life out of it.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Doomsday folks in here...

I'd drive it until it dies, especially if it was running fine, not consuming oil, or smoking like a freight train.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I'd drive it until it dies, especially if it was running fine, not consuming oil, or smoking like a freight train.

Words of wisdom here.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350

Id definitely run it till she goes! I mean it is a small block chevy lol
Just don't grenade it!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
A sure way to make sure it runs forever is grab a spare motor and tuck it under the bench LOL. I wonder if that is bits of oil control rings but how did they got down there without a skirt broke off a piston. Unless the previous owners "rebuild" was due to some disaster like a broken skirt and those bits are leftovers from then. Like they dropped the pan pulled the piston and rod out and replaced the busted piston and those bits were hung up somewhere or in the pan then. I can't imagine them not cleaning the pan out before putting it back on. It's a crap shoot from here and would drive me nuts. If it were mine I would have a hard time trusting it without at the very least a dissassembly for inspection. A set of gaskets is cheap. Actually I would wish I hadn't found it and could just continue on all dumb and happy.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size

Yeah I'm of the same opinion. I think that i'll drive it until something happens. The parts were actually tucked up in the screen and you could hardly see them. I just happened to see a tiny part of one of the pieces hanging out and was like WTF? Something tells me that they didn't clean out the screen of the oil pump when they did the last rebuild. At least that what I'm hoping for. Time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksquare84