Two tone paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

I usually reference this graphic. No idea of its origins though.
That’s for 80s trucks. And accurate.
70s truck 2 tone options were secondary on roof, secondary side stripe and a combo of both.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was under the impression the two tone models had the roof and bottom color the same.
My burnt orange and white,should have a white roof?
Anyone know what the conventional two tone...would be called?
I’d do a white roof on that paint scheme even if it wasn’t the original 2 tone option.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Hello everyone I,m new to this forum I,m ready to paint my 87 silverado 2 tone & I would like to know the measurements of the center color going blue on top white in the middle and blue on the bottom any help would be very much appericated. Thank you
The upper location is established by the (multicolor) tape stripe. You'll want to get those and apply them before paint or reference them for your measurements.

The bottom is defined by the B84/B85 adhesive side trim.

Incidentally, in the assembly plant, the secondary (inset) color was sprayed first for full coverage in the middle and overspray allowed to fly all over the place. The tape stripe was then applied, which had a clear mask on it, and the secondary shape was masked off with butcher paper. Then the primary color was sprayed over the top of all that.

When the masking was removed - viola! - a two tone truck.

K

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The upper location is established by the (multicolor) tape stripe. You'll want to get those and apply them before paint or reference them for your measurements.

The bottom is defined by the B84/B85 adhesive side trim.

Incidentally, in the assembly plant, the secondary (inset) color was sprayed first for full coverage in the middle and overspray allowed to fly all over the place. The tape stripe was then applied, which had a clear mask on it, and the secondary shape was masked off with butcher paper. Then the primary color was sprayed over the top of all that.

When the masking was removed - viola! - a two tone truck.

K

Very interesting!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello everyone I,m new to this forum I,m ready to paint my 87 silverado 2 tone & I would like to know the measurements of the center color going blue on top white in the middle and blue on the bottom any help would be very much appericated. Thank you

Before I stripped the 86, I took a ton of measurement pics of the trim.
And then realized that the stripes and trim were nowhere near consistent. And used none of the measurements.
But here’s all you need to know.
1. Pinstripe should pass just clear of and just under the door handles.
Whatever that measurement is from the upper body line, carry that dimension from that body line everywhere…except the front couple feet of the front fenders.
2. Stripe on front fenders, was not real consistent even with OE applications.
Depends what you want it to look like. The pinstripe will adjust to your preference. But I carefully split the stripe to top of fender and stripe to the fading body line equally. It looks real good I think but almost too “perfect” compared to how some/many came from the factory.
3. The trim is centered on the wrap around at the tail lights and the front poser lights. Straight line in between. Again find your dimension and pull it off of the body line. Center of trim ends up just below centered on gas doors as a check that you’re straight.

The replacement pinstripes are very accurately made. But you’d have to cut the stripes off the backing perfectly to use the clear film as protection. And I’d never place that stripe before paint.
However do need to be mindful of paint line under the pinstripe. Any ridge in the paint break line will telegraph thru the vinyl stripe. The order in which I painted and clear coated required a lot of detail sanding to smooth that out before applying the stripe.
Also I bought a roll of magnetic tape. It was a great help/ guide for layout, sanding, and placing the pinstripe and trim pieces. Invaluable in fact.
Better than masking tape for laying a line to install to imo as you could adjust it anywhere without peeling the tape up.

Last edited:

grego67

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 L
Before I stripped the 86, I took a ton of measurement pics of the trim.
And then realized that the stripes and trim were nowhere near consistent. And used none of the measurements.
But here’s all you need to know.
1. Pinstripe should pass just clear of and just under the door handles.
Whatever that measurement is from the upper body line, carry that dimension from that body line everywhere…except the front couple feet of the front fenders.
2. Stripe on front fenders, was not real consistent even with OE applications.
Depends what you want it to look like. The pinstripe will adjust to your preference. But I carefully split the stripe to top of fender and stripe to the fading body line equally. It looks real good I think but almost too “perfect” compared to how some/many came from the factory.
3. The trim is centered on the wrap around at the tail lights and the front poser lights. Straight line in between. Again find your dimension and pull it off of the body line. Center of trim ends up just below centered on gas doors as a check that you’re straight.

The replacement pinstripes are very accurately made. But you’d have to cut the stripes off the backing perfectly to use the clear film as protection. And I’d never place that stripe before paint.
However do need to be mindful of paint line under the pinstripe. Any ridge in the paint break line will telegraph thru the vinyl stripe. The order in which I painted and clear coated required a lot of detail sanding to smooth that out before applying the stripe.
Also I bought a roll of magnetic tape. It was a great help/ guide for layout, sanding, and placing the pinstripe and trim pieces. Invaluable in fact.
Better than masking tape for laying a line to install to imo as you could adjust it anywhere without peeling the tape up.
Thanks very helpful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bennlenl