Turn signals wont work...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricmond84chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Richmond
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 84 chevy i just bought a few days ago the tail lights have been shaved and theres a line of fire wired in for the tail lights. when you turn the lights on the line of fire comes on but turn signals and brake lights dont come on and the right blinker light on the dash stays lit up.. And when u try to use the left blinker the light doesnt come on nor blinks.. Is it a switch problem?? I need help plz and thank you!

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I have a 84 chevy i just bought a few days ago the tail lights have been shaved and theres a line of fire wired in for the tail lights. when you turn the lights on the line of fire comes on but turn signals and brake lights dont come on and the right blinker light on the dash stays lit up.. And when u try to use the left blinker the light doesnt come on nor blinks.. Is it a switch problem?? I need help plz and thank you!
Sound like a back feed ground to me. You only have 4 wires that run to the rear of the frame. Im not sure about the colors but this is what each wire powers.

Red-tail light or running lights/licence plate light
yellow-left turn/brake light
brown-right turn/brake light
white-back up light

All the light are ground to chassis.

Ricmond84chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Richmond
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok ill check into that! Thanks. But the tag light wire is in the very back and it runs out of the wire loom and its brown, cant remember all the wire colors that run to the back. The truck is in my buddys shop so i cant go check but i def didnt see a red wire i will check tomorrow and let u know! Thanks!

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yellow to left turn signal.
Green to right turn signal.
Light green to reverse lights.
Brown to tail, side marker lights and tag lights.
All Blacks to body ground.
If all wiring is correct. Check fuses. Check flashers(turn and hazard). If all are good, it probably has a bad turn signal/horn switch assy. in the steering column.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Read the bottom paragraph - that appears to be the entire electrical installation instructions:

You must be registered for see images attach

It is hard to diagnose electrical issues in a forum like this but do bear in mind that the Line- Of Fire light strings are composed of a bunch of LEDS wired in series.

The D in LED stands for diode. The point is - a diode acts just like a check valve in an electrical circuit. Current will pass through it but only when wired correctly (i.e. in the positive to negative direction) This is not an issue with incandescent lamps so people get used to ignoring polarity.

Last edited:

Ricmond84chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Richmond
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Okay so i checked the marker lights up front to see if any bulbs were out that might be throwin everything off.. The right side works but left side doesnt. But i checked it with volt meter and there is power gettin to but wont come on and its a new bulb.. Any ideas?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This is how the markers illuminate (and flash out of synch with the parks):

Note the first part of the text in the bottom image.

It would seem that, since current flow through an LED is only in one direction, the parking/marker lamp circuit won't work normally. Like it did when all the lamps were incandescent.

Good reading on LED's here:

http://www.bcae1.com/led.htm

Last edited:

Ricmond84chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Richmond
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you for the info! Its really helpin out alot.. Gonna be replacing the turn signal switch this week an hopefully that fixes it

Ricmond84chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Richmond
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Can anyone send me a pic diagram on how to get the rest of plastic cover on column off??... I got front of column off i just need rest of plastic off thats wraps around the column below the shifter bc the space between column an plastic is to tight to pull signal switch through

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OK, did You remove the steering wheel ?????

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7