Truck won't idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Off-road dipper

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 85 k10 won't idle when I shift it from park to drive unless I hit the throttle a few times could it be the edelbrock carb?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
My 85 k10 won't idle when I shift it from park to drive unless I hit the throttle a few times could it be the edelbrock carb?

Does it die ? Or it wont come down in revs ?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Sounds like maybe a tranny issue. What transmission ? what carb ?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Is the transmission a 700-R4 equippped with TCC? Probably not - but if it is you might want to read this TSB:

Engine - Stops Running When Shifting to Reverse or Drive

NUMBER: 86-B-79

GROUP: 7A-Automatic Transmission

DATE: May, 1986
SUBJECT: ENGINE STOPS RUNNING DUE TO TCC ENGAGEMENT WHEN SHIFTED FROM PARK/NEUTRAL TO REVERSE OR DRIVE

MODELS: 1982-86 LIGHT DUTY MODELS WITH THM 700-R4 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
Some 1982 through 1986 vehicles equipped with a THM 700-R4 automatic transmission may experience a condition where the engine stops running or lugs when shifted from Park/Neutral to Reverse or Drive.

You must be registered for see images attach

This condition may be a result of torque converter clutch engagement when either gear range is selected, and may be caused by improper operation of the converter clutch valve, located in the pump cover (Refer to Figure No. 1).. If this condition exists, inspect the converter clutch apply valve for the following:

^ Not properly seated or missing retaining ring (item 225). When installing this retaining ring make certain the rounded edge of the ring faces the valve stop (item 226). Refer to Figure No. 2.
^ Nicks or burrs in the converter clutch valve (item 227) or valve bore.

^ Missing, broken or damaged converter clutch valve springs (outer spring item 228 and inner spring item 229).
IMPORTANT: Prior to servicing the pump assembly for the above condition, make certain that the engine is properly tuned to specifications.

Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for removal and installation procedures.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What is your idle rpm in Park? Should be 700 or so. That sounds awfully fast to someone whose had a stick before. Setting it too low will cause the engine to die when putting it in gear. Idle in drive with the brakes held should be 500.

1984K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 (350CID)
I've had the same problem for a while and I believe it's the torque converter but I have too many problems with the truck to even try taking it to a tranny shop to get checked out

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Unplug the wire harness on the drivers side of transmission and see if it still does it. If it still does it then you know its not a wiring issue or a component on the truck side. If it still does it then it likely would be the tourqe converter it self.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Is the transmission a 700-R4 equippped with TCC? Probably not - but if it is you might want to read this TSB:

Engine - Stops Running When Shifting to Reverse or Drive

NUMBER: 86-B-79

GROUP: 7A-Automatic Transmission

DATE: May, 1986
SUBJECT: ENGINE STOPS RUNNING DUE TO TCC ENGAGEMENT WHEN SHIFTED FROM PARK/NEUTRAL TO REVERSE OR DRIVE

MODELS: 1982-86 LIGHT DUTY MODELS WITH THM 700-R4 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
Some 1982 through 1986 vehicles equipped with a THM 700-R4 automatic transmission may experience a condition where the engine stops running or lugs when shifted from Park/Neutral to Reverse or Drive.

This condition may be a result of torque converter clutch engagement when either gear range is selected, and may be caused by improper operation of the converter clutch valve, located in the pump cover (Refer to Figure No. 1).. If this condition exists, inspect the converter clutch apply valve for the following:

^ Not properly seated or missing retaining ring (item 225). When installing this retaining ring make certain the rounded edge of the ring faces the valve stop (item 226). Refer to Figure No. 2.
^ Nicks or burrs in the converter clutch valve (item 227) or valve bore.

^ Missing, broken or damaged converter clutch valve springs (outer spring item 228 and inner spring item 229).
IMPORTANT: Prior to servicing the pump assembly for the above condition, make certain that the engine is properly tuned to specifications.

Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for removal and installation procedures.

I had a th350 with a lockup TC. Would it not be an issue that any of the three trannies could have ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man