Truck studders / cuts out while accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
so recently my 87 v20 manual trans has been making a quick one time sometimes 3-4 studders while accelerating, always in 2nd or 3rd gear the truck was a quart and a half low on oil, I topped it off but still dose it, I’m wondering if maybe it’s one of my oil sensors, my oil gauge stays around 45-50 and bounces a bit but I don’t really see it move much at all. Truck has new cap&rotor plugs and wires, fuel filter, fuel switch, and sending units, any help on this issue would be great

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Clutch

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I was gonna say bad throw out bearing, or worn clutch linkage arm.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hot spots on flywheel.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
I’m not trying to be rude but how will the clutch affect the engine stuttering, maybe I worded it wrong but its almost like it is cutting out. But if it seriously can be a clutch issue please educate me.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I read shuddering for some reason. Have you checked timing. If it’s bucking at all, it could be pre detonation.

Also, could be bad injectors, in which case I’d think it would throw a code. Does your CEL work. I’ve never worked on an oem tbi system.

Someone like @1987 GMC Jimmy or @chengny could probably get you pointed in the right direction.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
No code, and the light dose come on when i first turn on the ignition, the truck is all stock and I have not touched the timing, I have done almost all new cooling system, fuel system, and all the other stuff mentioned above, and I have ran at least 6-9 tanks of fuel sense.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I read shuddering for some reason.

Because the title says "Studders". WTF dictionary did Jppr26 get that from?

This is a non-stop problem with remote diagnosis. Semantics and common descriptions all play a part in how we perceive the things we can't experience in person. For example, the details about oil, which probably has little to do with "studdering." If it's only happening during upshifts I'd guess these guys are on the right track looking for a clutch issue.

Not trying to break your chops Jppr, but this is hard enough to do without confusing terminology and descriptions of the problem.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hmm, I just wandered onto this thread. I didn’t get a notification for the tag... Just curious, when you replaced the senders, did you replace the pumps? A fuel pressure test might be in order just to make sure you’ve got good pressure. You can borrow the whole test kit at Autozone. I’d check the injectors to make sure they’re spraying a very fine, conical spray. If they’re real drippy or the spray pattern is off, that can indicate a problem. No rodent issues? Reason I ask is a chewed spark plug wire that’s grounding against something can cause this. I’d check timing just to be safe. I’d do a once over of the cap just to make sure it’s not cracked. Check the MAP sensor hose and boots to make sure they’re tip top. Any little loss of vacuum can cause issues there. Speaking of which, go through and check everything for vacuum leaks. You can do most of this visually (cracked or snapped lines), by smoking them out (blowing cigarette, cigar, or vape smoke backwards from the TBI to see if any wafts out), by capping things off to see if it runs better (i.e brake booster, rear manifold nipple, TBI vacuum ports), etc. The EGR valve is a little trickier. Make sure the plunger in it moves freely when it’s cold, or you’ll burn yourself pretty good if it’s hot. For a vacuum retention test, taking into consideration different designs of EGR valves, I’d plug the port and see if runs better going down the highway. Finally, you can get a baby can of ether and spray around the TBI base to see if the idle speed changes.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Partially clogged fuel filters can cause hesitation and or studdering as well. Since you opened up and messed with the fuel system it is also possibke something came loose or lodged into the in tank filter. There is a rubber hose connection on the in tank filter that comes loose and causes issues

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I am wondering what type of oil pressure sensor you have?

Some GM types have a 'third hole' under the connector that allows moisture to get in and ruin it. That would cause the pressure gauge to jump around.
Also if the computer saw the pressure drip to zip, it would shut off the fuel pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06