Truck Starts Hard at Times

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
they used to be called chasis ear, worked with a guy that had one, dd help fix a couple of noises, and he did pay big money for his

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
It looks like they are upwards of 1k online, but I am reading about a guy building his own for 35 bucks.

The only thing cooler than the smoke machine I played with was this box that had a shitload of alligator clips that were microphones. You could put them on different parts and run the wires into a switchboard you keep in the car. There was a dial you could turn to different microphones so you could locate a sound.

You just drive around with headphones on listening to stuff until you find your problem.

Dont hold out on us give us the link for the 35 dollar smoke machine.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Hey Pops,

When we tested the fuel pressure last week it took 1 second to 1.5 seconds to bleed off when turning the on and off.

So far everyones telling me its spider injectors on CFI system. If so putting the MFI conversion kit on it.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Hey Pops,

When we tested the fuel pressure last week it took 1 second to 1.5 seconds to bleed off when turning the on and off.

So far everyones telling me its spider injectors on CFI system. If so putting the MFI conversion kit on it.

well I wouldnt spend the 300 dollars on the conversion yet. If your pressure is bleeding off that fast then you defintly have a Problem. Now with that said an HONEST tech is not going to assume that it is the Spider, But instead is going to TEST the system.

3 things that it COULD be are:
1. Spider assy.
2. Fuel Pressure Regulator
3. Fuel Pump ( Faulty check valve).

If It was my customers Truck I wouldnt do anything to it with out running an Injector Balance test, and Testing for the check valve to be leaking.

If you have all data then you should be able to research the correct ways for testing each of those things listed.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
well I wouldnt spend the 300 dollars on the conversion yet. If your pressure is bleeding off that fast then you defintly have a Problem. Now with that said an HONEST tech is not going to assume that it is the Spider, But instead is going to TEST the system.

3 things that it COULD be are:
1. Spider assy.
2. Fuel Pressure Regulator
3. Fuel Pump ( Faulty check valve).

If It was my customers Truck I wouldnt do anything to it with out running an Injector Balance test, and Testing for the check valve to be leaking.

If you have all data then you should be able to research the correct ways for testing each of those things listed.

The teacher read the scan tool and said everything was reading/showing ok.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
The teacher read the scan tool and said everything was reading/showing ok.

LOL then I might consider thinking about getting a new teacher. Only thing the scanner is used for there is the balance test, which in my experience very few people actually take the time to do it right.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Whats this crap that GM sent out to the techs about regapping the plugs from .060 to .040 to save the life of the ignition module. Is that true?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Whats this crap that GM sent out to the techs about regapping the plugs from .060 to .040 to save the life of the ignition module. Is that true?

I very seriously doubt that this is true. Reason bein is that the plugs are PLATINUIM and you do NOT adjust the gap on them, If you try to you will most likely break the platnium off of it.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
IS THIS THE 350R VORTECH...WITH THE SPIDER CRAP AND THE CRAB CAP ON THE DISTRIBUTOR..WELL I HAVE WENT THROUGH SOME CRAP WITH MIND..OVER THE YEARS SINCE 2005..I CHANGED THE CAP AND ROTOR-COIL-AND STILL THE THING WOULD NOT START.but now and then..if it was wet out.it would not start.the pump got weak.the pump has to be on the money..i just got one off of amazon.com..got that put in..temp sensor was bad...but i found out..you can not use the after market caps.i went to the dealer..and bought there cap-that knocked out a lot of it.the after market cap was making the fire arc.across the coil.i added taylor wires..8.5mm..should of got 9mm

i installed..platnum plugs.big difference..what i read-is that some of the new pumps.can go bad.quick..one little thing off..and you got a hard start.deal on these engines..mind is a late 96 in a espress van..

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
all so i have read..these crank trigger engines..the deal.on the crank.a wire can break..some mud can mess it up..until you clean it..a wire can come lose on the fuel pump plug.and you cant see it.you have to really check it out.to see if it is lose or broken.you can have a lost frame ground.on the fuel pump wiring/ground..the new pumps come with the little wiring harness..mind was changed out..remember..that coil.cloud.do a number on you too..i have had no problems with my injectors.some people have the cleaning service done too them.i think they pull each one...

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Dont have vaccum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure regulator is under the intake manifold along with the injectors. Got 14 on the injector balance test on the scan tool.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nienberg2