truck runs hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I'd put it in the intake manifold if you have an empty (plugged) hole. In the thermostat housing it will only register true once the thermostat opens. If the thermostat fails to open you might not know it immediately. As an option you can drill a couple 1/8" holes in the thermostat to let coolant bypass. Until it opens fully. That would give a better reading before it opens.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Not trying to hijack this thread but Speaking of gauges. Why can't I find a gauge pillar for a square?? I can find them for my regal coup...

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The old radiators using brass cores had round tubes that were larger and did not have turbulators in them. Modern aluminum cores are thin and long tubes with tubulators in them that work to increase the thermal efficiency. I have a modern aluminum radiator fro ma 97 K2500 454 Suburban in my 1980 K25. It is a two core, but those two cores are thicker than the stock 4 core radiator was. It rarely even kicks the electric fans on unless I am stopped for extended periods of time in 100 degree heat.

You will read higher temps at the cylinder head. It will read cooler at the water neck.

Good choice. The spectras work just fine, I just haven't had one last in my truck more than a year and a half. That being said the temperature fluctuations in my area are insane, so I'm not super mad. Theyre like $120 so it's not terrible.
I ended up putting in a spectra unit a was years ago, because my OEM unit was seeping pretty badly. I'd had a long standing issue with the truck running a little hot on hills with the trailer. That issue has never reoccurred since replacing the radiator. I have a SBC but choose to install the 4 row equivalent meant for the 454. Worked out well.

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
Also 220 is not terribly hot. If the truck is running lean it can cause it to run a little hot. Retarded timing. Since you said that it has a chip I assume it's fuel injected does it have a heat riser? If it does make sure it's working, if it's jammed shut all that exhaust passing though the intake can cause an overheat.

Also your fan clutch, did you get a genuine A/C Delco severe duty unit? Hayden makes nearly all the store brands and has moved a lot of it's production to china, and we have had enough issues at the shop with then that we order the A/C Delco units for these trucks now. Can you hear the fan clutch working? If not then it's either bad or the hot coolant isn't getting into the radiator.
Heat riser? Meaning EGR? So I know...

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
I see, did some Google. Mine doesn't have that. Thx