truck runs hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
looking like i had two faulty gauges o’reilly gauge was reading 195 on idle factory gauge was reading 212+ used a temp gun i was getting 190 at the heads but figured that wasn’t accurate because it was picking up heat from the exhaust so measured at intake manifold near the ecu temp sensor and was getting 178
That's been the theme lately. My factory gauge reads a little high as well. Same with voltage, and my oil pressure gauge just **** the bed lol.

I really like my autometer oil pressure gauge. Other than the cheesy light socket. I would verify with a quality gauge.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Usually the classic big blocks run hot and the small blocks run cold.

I will support the statements here: 1) check the actual water temp by reading the thermostat housing with an infrared thermometer; 2) make sure your vacuum advance is hooked to manifold vacuum. Ported vacuum is pollution control nonsense and will make the engine run hot.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Make sure all the rubber fillers and plastic shrouding is in place around the radiator. Any air that enters the grill needs to exit thru the radiator.

Air will take the path of least resistance, if it’s easier to go around the radiator than thru it that’s exactly what it will do.

Fill any gaps between the radiator and core support with the foam used to seal home air conditioners to the window frame.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Not to talk **** on oreillys but they have a lot of garbage. I hate to say fork up some money for an autometer or equivalent, but. If you have a temp gun already that should work. I've just never got real accurate readings with that, as well as you can't monitor while driving.

I've heard some rads are too dense, and they don't cool efficiently. The cheap spectras don't last, but I've never got hot.
After reading here about old school radiators and new replacements, I stuck with the original. When I did the swap though, I did use a Spectre fuel tank and not any issues out of it.

For the fan I went ford windstar TYC brand

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The old radiators using brass cores had round tubes that were larger and did not have turbulators in them. Modern aluminum cores are thin and long tubes with tubulators in them that work to increase the thermal efficiency. I have a modern aluminum radiator fro ma 97 K2500 454 Suburban in my 1980 K25. It is a two core, but those two cores are thicker than the stock 4 core radiator was. It rarely even kicks the electric fans on unless I am stopped for extended periods of time in 100 degree heat.

You will read higher temps at the cylinder head. It will read cooler at the water neck.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
After reading here about old school radiators and new replacements, I stuck with the original. When I did the swap though, I did use a Spectre fuel tank and not any issues out of it.

For the fan I went ford windstar TYC brand
Good choice. The spectras work just fine, I just haven't had one last in my truck more than a year and a half. That being said the temperature fluctuations in my area are insane, so I'm not super mad. Theyre like $120 so it's not terrible.

armor2111

Reaction score
First Name
Cecil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy k1500
Engine Size
I am going to go out on a limb and say I have a 350 with a 4 barrel. My head and block cracked from overheating. Not from a loss of antifreeze, but from the pan attached to the underside of the intake manifold just below the carburetor. The pan had hardened burnt oil and it got very hot. enough to crack the head and block. Hope this is of some help.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am going to go out on a limb and say I have a 350 with a 4 barrel. My head and block cracked from overheating. Not from a loss of antifreeze, but from the pan attached to the underside of the intake manifold just below the carburetor. The pan had hardened burnt oil and it got very hot. enough to crack the head and block. Hope this is of some help.
I don't think so. That's just a splash shield to keep the oil off the intake. Cracked head and block is a different issue.

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
Sometimes new parts can be bad outta the box. I’ve had that issue several times with mine

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Good choice. The spectras work just fine, I just haven't had one last in my truck more than a year and a half. That being said the temperature fluctuations in my area are insane, so I'm not super mad. Theyre like $120 so it's not terrible.
don't forget if you put a thermistor inline, you'll clip that in-rush current. Typically 35 amps (starting).....then stabilizing at 10 amps (normal running). This allows you to use a 15-20 amp relay as compared to a 40+ amp relay. About 3 bucks each and you save money. 1 per fan.

If anyone is curious how they work link below. Can remove or add to another thread, not intending to hijack, but share for a "while you're there" suggestion.

Thermistor to Clip In-Rush (Starting Current)

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I can say with 100% certainty that the splash shield having carbon built up behind it did not cause your engine to overheat and the block or heads to crack. The only purpose of that shield is to keep the coking of the oil to a minimum as it splashes up on the underside of the intake. That spot that is covered by that shield has super hot exhaust gas running through it and the oil will burn to it without the shield in place. The most likely cause of a cracked block AND head would be from not running enough antifreeze in a cold climate and having the water freeze inside it. Overheating shouldn't cause a crack either, but having cracks in the block and head would let all of the coolant run out or not let the system pressurize. That would then cause the overheating.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You suppose the radiator cap is not holding good pressure?

BurbanPena

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
thanks for all the great input!! everyone, here is a update

just installed a glow shift temp gauge got all the wires routed and gauge mounted,
tomorrow i will get the temp sensor installed i plan on putting it in the thermostat housing to get a accurate coolant temp with out the exhaust manifold heating up the sensor

Attachments

• IMG_1514.jpeg
    IMG_1514.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 33

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
thanks for all the great input!! everyone, here is a update

just installed a glow shift temp gauge got all the wires routed and gauge mounted,
tomorrow i will get the temp sensor installed i plan on putting it in the thermostat housing to get a accurate coolant temp with out the exhaust manifold heating up the sensor
the computer uses the temp sensor next to the thermostat housing. so don't use that location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35