Transmission ID Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Are the transmission models stamped on all the transmission housings? Like th350, th400, 700r4, etc. If not how you tell by looking at it then without checking the casting numbers? So if your 2 hours away looking at trany to buy and seller refuses to try to look for those numbers for you. Then how you tell without making a 2nd trip back to get it if it is what your looking for on any car/truck brand transmission?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You identify a transmission by the pan in most cases. THEN, you look for #'s or other characheteristics to determine things like if its a truck model, 4x4 model, year model etc. Example being, a Th400. Once you know its a Th400, then does it have a deep pan or a bolt on yoke. If so, then its a truck trans. A shallow pan is a car trans in most cases. That is not always accurate though since pans are easy to change, so next tell tale sign is if its slip yoke or bolt on. On a Th350, pans are all the same for car and truck, but if you know that 6in tailshafts are usually cars, and the 9inch shafts were pretty much squarebody trucks only. Even a 69-72 truck used the 6in short shaft. But, the #'s do help alot if they are visible. Many times the #'s are worn off the tag, or the tag has been removed. On 700r4's the # is stamped into the case houseing , so all transmissions are differant ways to tell to only have a clue what they came out of and nothing is positive unless the #'s are there and legible.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Do they make a crossing reference guide for transmissions for decoding the numbers if there still there?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep! It's called GOOGLE!! :lol:

Pretty much the case. Or if you have the Th400 bible or the Th350 bible, which is what I call the Ron Sessions books by HP, and then on 700r4, you read my thread, how to identify a 700r4.