tranny leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.2diesel

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
6.2l
So i believe my transmission is leaking. I have never done anything with transmissions, let alone an automatic. It seems to me it is leaking by i bolt, and you cant see the washer almost as if it was so over tightened it sent the washer though the oil pan alittle. Its not a huge leak and oil seems to be at good level. I did at some treatment (lucas i believe) to try and stop it. Can i leave it or is it something that should be fixed. (truck is a 1986 Chevy c30 6.2l diesel with the Thm400 3 speed) just bought the truck as nothing in records of any tranny work, only 119k on the truck

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are you saying it's leaking only at 1 pan bolt? It is possible that 1 bolt was over tightened that one bolt and squished the pan gasket. Cork/Rubber gaskets are notorious for this problem. This is why when I use cork/rubber pan gaskets, I use an inch lb torque wrench and torque to spec of 15ft lbs x 12in in a foot, = 180in lbs so being spec is 12-15ft lbs, then I torque to 175in lbs and on the high side of the spec and rarely have a problem. I highly doubt Lucas trans sealer will fix this kind of leak. It may swell some O rings and such, but not likely to repair a squished gasket.

6.2diesel

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
6.2l
I really didn't hope for Lucas to stop it maybe it would help a little. It I ever leaked till I put the truck up in jack stands for the front brakes

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Its probably a good idea to do a transmission fluid and filter change anyways :)

http://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...ission-type/th400/transmission-pan-style/deep

You must be registered for see images attach

I would go with B&M 20289 which is a deep [an and comes with the extension for the filter, or any of the ones in the second link which are all stock capacity.

I have used the B&M ones and they seal up great and come with the filter extension and gasket. They are cheap too for a deep pan.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...=Ascending&N=4294923829+4294949291+4294906905

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Are you saying it's leaking only at 1 pan bolt? It is possible that 1 bolt was over tightened that one bolt and squished the pan gasket. Cork/Rubber gaskets are notorious for this problem. This is why when I use cork/rubber pan gaskets, I use an inch lb torque wrench and torque to spec of 15ft lbs x 12in in a foot, = 180in lbs so being spec is 12-15ft lbs, then I torque to 175in lbs and on the high side of the spec and rarely have a problem. I highly doubt Lucas trans sealer will fix this kind of leak. It may swell some O rings and such, but not likely to repair a squished gasket.

Yep I do it the same way and have never had one leak on me that way either :)

I don't use any silicone or anything just clean surfaces and I actually prefer the rubber gaskets my self.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64