Towing with a k5??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

illtemper

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Im looking at getting an 85 K5 to use for Wheeling and to use as a Daily Driver.. Plan is to put a 6" sus lift and a 3"body lift... In the near future i am hoping to get a 24' enclosed car trailer for my race car. Will i be able to tow with my K5 or is it suicide? Im hearing mixed reviews on this and have to say i dont plan on towing THAT often maybe a couple times a year... I have a Trailblazer that i tow my open car trailer with and it has no problem at all... Anyone have experience with this????

Thanks

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would say with that much lift you will have a problem with sagging in the back. If you get a weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes you should be fine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just as important, what gear ratio and trans are you going to have???

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Too much lift is bad for towing, and short wheelbase is bad for towing... put the two together and you have a really bad tow rig. With the correct tires, gearing, etc, I'd still go with less lift and a smaller trailer.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
no way i'd hook on to a 24' enclosed trailer with anything less than a C20 or K20. you're just asking for problems.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have you ever considered a K20 Burban??? Probably a much better choice. Longer wheelbase, much heavier duty than a K5 and still have more than just a single bench seat like you'd have in pickup.

Keep in mind, when towing, you're really not going to find out if its safe for towing for certain until something goes wrong and you feel how the vehicle handles in that situation. By that time, if its the wrong vehicle it can have catastrphic results. Don't even ask me how I know. Lets just say I felt lucky to be alive, and had to wipe my ass before I changed underwear.

88burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
One of the important factors when towing is weight of the tow vehcile compared to what you are towing. You want a heavy truck wiwth big brakes swo you can slow that rig down in an emergency situation. Go as big as you can stand, you will be happy you did.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One of the important factors when towing is weight of the tow vehcile compared to what you are towing. You want a heavy truck wiwth big brakes swo you can slow that rig down in an emergency situation. Go as big as you can stand, you will be happy you did.

EXACTLY RIGHT. You WILL NOT know you are towing your load with the WRONG vehicle until you need a fast stop, or make an evassive move to avoid a collision. If you're in the wrong tow vehicle in either of those situations, you WILL be part of the accident for certain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising