Tire Crud on rim flanges, before and after:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
i didn't see much of this elsewhere on the net, so i want your opinions:

i am going to be using Astro wheels.
These came off of a 98-2005 from the salvage yard, i don't remember. But obviously they have some rubber crud on the rim flange:

You must be registered for see images attach

i decided (on my own opinion) to try to clean this crud off. So i used a Dremel and the carbon steel accessory attachment, #428-02.

This got the crud off without scratching anything. The pics may appear to still have some residue on them, but this is, as far as i can tell, is discoloration. And the flange is now smooth:

So, should we even worry about rubber residue on the rim? i'm thinking the tire bead will conform to any rubber residue on the flange? Now rust or scratches would be different because the tire's bead can't fill those cracks?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you can run your finger along the bead and not feel any noticeable bumps or gouges, the tire will seal fine.

It just looks like the last set of tires had bead sealer applied.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
So, should we even worry about rubber residue on the rim? i'm thinking the tire bead will conform to any rubber residue on the flange? Now rust or scratches would be different because the tire's bead can't fill those cracks?

I would say yes. On my Forester I had an extremely slow leak develop. Took it in and they found nothing producing bubbles from the tire. Aired it up and sent me on my way. A few days later I notice that tire is a smidge low again. Went back and had them dismount the tire, clean the flange, and it held air after that. A small amount of crud is probably okay, but after a while it wouldn't hurt to clean off the flange like you did. Will the tire shop do it? Probably not unless you ask them to. On my Forester the previous owner did a lot tinkering with different tires and such, so even though it should've only had two sets of tires maximum by the time I to ownership, it had at least 20 removals and installs of tires on the rims in five years, with four times coming from me alone to replace the tires it came with, then swapping the old tires back on so my girlfriend would have tires on her car until she could buy some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20