Time to do belts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
We have advance too. Apparently, we buy a **** load of parts around here. They're everywhere! Within 6 miles of my house are 3 Autozones, 2 Advances, and 1 or 2 Oreillys. In the town where I work, the city limits are like 8 miles wide and like 6 miles long. Inside the city limits are 2 Autozones, 2 Advance Auto with a 3rd on the way, and 1 Oreilly. That doesn't even include the locally owned, rare mom & pops stores and the Napa.

Do you hae a Parts Plus out there?

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
There are some scattered around, but not very many. Only 2 within 40 miles of my house.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
:yucky:

Last edited:

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
parts plus is big in jersey and the philly area, the one store i buy from has their main office in lancaster and has 8 stores one a mile from my work, they have good products at decent prices and a huge wharehouse in jersey so can get overnight if needed

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
sounds a lot like how O'Reilly operates. I bought a replacement battery hold down (to replace the one that mysteriously disappeared while at the body shop, probably the same time my terminal loosened itself up) and they said it would be in by 9:30 the next morning.

Got all 4 friggin belts replaced, and still got a bit of a squeal at start-up. I noticed that the A/C belt took some muscle to get it out of the pully. The pully seems to be binding on the sides of the belt causing the squeal. None of my 10+ yr old belts were in very bad shape actually. Just 2 showing minimal cracking between the teeth. Guess I'll just deal with it until I change out the compressor to R134. No need in fixing a pulley when the compressor doesn't even work. If it gets too bad again, I'll just cut the $9 belt off and replace it when I change the compressor.

mybabyk5

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Got about 117k. I've had it since 89k and never done belts, so there's a chance they are still the original ones. They've been squealing occasionally at start up for the last year. Now that I've got it back from paint finally, they squeal constantly (and loudly). Gotta get it done yesterday.

Is it necessary (or 10x easier) to remove the fan shroud? Or should I be able to work around it fairly easy??

I would take it off, i find it just to get in the way, mine had huge staples holding the bottom and top together so i just used some of those small black clips for paper... i also have the dumb 4 belt system so i had to draw a diagram with measurements and all, im ready to switch everything on one serpentine

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I would take it off, i find it just to get in the way, mine had huge staples holding the bottom and top together so i just used some of those small black clips for paper... i also have the dumb 4 belt system so i had to draw a diagram with measurements and all, im ready to switch everything on one serpentine
Somebody drilled mine and stuck 10mm bolts and nuts to hold the sides together.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
I took mine off.....then put a Ford Windstar Electric fan assembly in its place. Before I get chastized for putting Phurd parts on my rig, it was WAY cheaper than a Flex A Lite.......LOL!!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don;t miss those V-belts.

83K5guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I Had to repurpose the A/C belt in order to keep the truck running.

Had this happen to me, I came home from work and seen a belt in the middle of my road where it tees and I laughed and said to myself, that sucks someone lost a belt. Oh about 3-4 days later my lights were dim and truck was running about 210, t never ran that hot and the alt gauge was showing close to 8volts. I put it in neutral and reved it and nothing. I stopped and got out popped the hood and no alt/fan belt. I looked over and said **** there's my belt. Turns out it was my belt in the road lol. So I made the ac belt work till I got to school and then made it to the parts store afterwards.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I took mine off.....then put a Ford Windstar Electric fan assembly in its place. Before I get chastized for putting Phurd parts on my rig, it was WAY cheaper than a Flex A Lite.......LOL!!!

I've got the windstar fans on my Blazer, they work very well. Using a furd product is OK, as long as it works well (which there aren't many, haha).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue