Time to do belts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Got about 117k. I've had it since 89k and never done belts, so there's a chance they are still the original ones. They've been squealing occasionally at start up for the last year. Now that I've got it back from paint finally, they squeal constantly (and loudly). Gotta get it done yesterday.

Is it necessary (or 10x easier) to remove the fan shroud? Or should I be able to work around it fairly easy??

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You can work around it no problem. This is something I should do, mudding makes mine look worse than they probably are. My DD Tacoma really needs a belt, kicking it down on the highway with the a/c on it will squeal and I can just see it spitting out from under the back one of these times.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yeah, I remember as a kid going w/my dad in our white '71 C20 Long bed going to get a load of cheap firewood from somewhere in rural SC about an hour away. A belt broke out in the middle of nowhere, and all kids of smoke started coming from under the hood, where the belt had gotten tangled up in other pulleys. Had to repurpose the A/C belt in order to keep the truck running. That was a loooong hot day!! I learned early on that your belts are not something you want to stretch out (no pun intended). However, I'm breaking my own rule right now. Gotta get back on track!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Watch the movie "Dual" to see how important belts are.... or was that a hose that failed? :High 5:

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
if you didn;t buy belts yet, go to auto zone and get the goodyear gator belts, the will be quiet and last a long time, have tried many brands and have had the best luck with them

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Good info towman! Thanks. I'm hoping to get on it this weekend if it's not too friggin hot!

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Watch the movie "Dual" to see how important belts are.... or was that a hose that failed? :High 5:

I don't have time for movies! I've got belts to replace!!! :mad3::whip:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
if you didn;t buy belts yet, go to auto zone and get the goodyear gator belts, the will be quiet and last a long time, have tried many brands and have had the best luck with them

Went on Autozone's site to double-check, and the only brands they have listed are Dayco, Duralast and Valucraft???

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Went on Autozone's site to double-check, and the only brands they have listed are Dayco, Duralast and Valucraft???

here in pa they carry the goodyear belts, used to buy from the zone at work, dayco i have had a lot of issues with noises on the serpentine belts, duralast and valu craft belts are just a cheap belt, if you can't get the goodyears try to find gates belts they are top shelf also, but if you can't find either one of them go with the dayco they are at least a decent belt

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
here in pa they carry the goodyear belts, used to buy from the zone at work, dayco i have had a lot of issues with noises on the serpentine belts, duralast and valu craft belts are just a cheap belt, if you can't get the goodyears try to find gates belts they are top shelf also, but if you can't find either one of them go with the dayco they are at least a decent belt

Oreilly's was showing the Gates, and I need to replace my battery hold down that mysteriously has disappeared since getting it back from paint. They sell an OEM style replacement, so I'll get belts while there too. Thanks for the info!!!

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
i think your orielys are advance here in pa but not sure

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
i think your orielys are advance here in pa but not sure

We have advance too. Apparently, we buy a **** load of parts around here. They're everywhere! Within 6 miles of my house are 3 Autozones, 2 Advances, and 1 or 2 Oreillys. In the town where I work, the city limits are like 8 miles wide and like 6 miles long. Inside the city limits are 2 Autozones, 2 Advance Auto with a 3rd on the way, and 1 Oreilly. That doesn't even include the locally owned, rare mom & pops stores and the Napa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman