Tie Rod issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Hey hoping to tap in to some more knowledgeable people. Ive got an 87 GMC V2500 that has 4.10 gears I'm about to do a 6 inch lift in and figured its time to replace the sloppy old tie rods as well. However every front left outer tie rod I find says "w/o 4.10 gears." My right side is new and all I need is the left inner, outer, and adjusting sleeve. Anyone know a part number or what is going on here?

Anyways any help is appreciated.

Thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, your lift and tie rod thread has been moved to Suspension and Steering, Lift and Off-Road Suspension.

The Engine Miss part of your post has been copied and moved to Engine Peformance, and all the posts on that topic to a the new thread. So now you have 2 threads, 1 for each topic in their proper categories and help should be on the way. :waytogo:

Engine Miss http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9638

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've never heard of gear ratio making a difference on a tie rod at all. But, I'm not sure I understand either. This is a 4x4 right? to the best of my knowledge you only have 2 tie rods. You have the real long one and then the short stubby one. There is no inner and outer tie rods on a 4x4 that I'm aware of. Usually RockAuto.com has great prices on Moog suspension parts, and we as GMSB members also get a little bit of a discount. If you can't find the code here on the forum, just ask for help in this thread.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Thanks for helping me out.
I believe the one that goes to the pitman arm is what I need.. shes got a little bit of play in her. And by a little I mean a quarter of a steering wheel worth at least.
That first one looks huge!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
1/4 turn on the steering wheel is a little more than a little play bud. :rofl: That's pretty serious. By all means, do get to the bottom of that issue. It could be a steering arm, tie rods, rag joint in the steering column, or even the gear box itself.

What you need to do is, have someone inside the truck turning the wheel back and forth from slop to slop. You lay under it and watch each and every piece of linkage that is moving and look for something moving in a direction that is not right. Like a rod going up and down instead of side to side like it's supposed to. Also don't be afraid to grab a hold of the pieces and try to hold them as they're turning the wheel. This will highlight any improper working part because you're trying to hold it and inflict resistance on the parts.

Yes, the that's what I mean, you only have 2 tie rods on a 4x4 that go across the front. One is very long and the other end screws into it. On a 2wd, you have a center drag link, then inner and outer tie rods on each side. There's big difference in the steering linkage systems of 2wd and 4wd.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Yeah I have a hunch it's that the rod connecting to the steering box. When I had the truck on a lift a month ago I could move the left tire and saw the nut on top of it moving. Didn't think much of it till later. I was doing the hubs at the time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah I have a hunch it's that the rod connecting to the steering box. When I had the truck on a lift a month ago I could move the left tire and saw the nut on top of it moving. Didn't think much of it till later. I was doing the hubs at the time.

That might just be your BINGO right there. Start your investigation right there. You shouldn't be able to move the tire in and out like that unless the right one is turning with it too.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
They were both turning equally however the steering box wasn't. Way I see it they're probably stock and either way, good or bad, I have the money and it can't hurt to replace them while I'm doing the lift anyways. I'm currently replying to the miss post as well it's a doozie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue