Throttle sticky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I know this has been covered before. I have read most of the posts concerning a sticking throttle cable. So here is my problem... I have installed a new cable, verified the TV cable is not binding. I can operate the throttle manually (throttle cable off TBI) with ease. The throttle cable has been lubricated with 3 in 1 oil and reinstalled. When depressing the throttle it is very difficult and I will push harder and finally it will move. Now it gets better......at a cruising speed when I push on the pedal it is sticking again. I increase speed so the pedal has moved and once again it is hard to push. It doesn't seem to matter where the cable is in it's travel. I have had this cable out and back in so many times my frustration level (and blood pressure) is high. I also have put a 3" loop in the cable with it out of the truck and the cable moves great. Installed in the truck and the problem continues. At the cable mount point on the throttle pedal rod it seems the rod is too high by about an 1/8". There is a ferrel crimped on the cable that interfaces with the plastic housing that also seems to contact the plastic housing. This ferrel is in between the pedal rod and the mount that comes through the firewall.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Check your return springs

I know this has been covered before. I have read most of the posts concerning a sticking throttle cable. So here is my problem... I have installed a new cable, verified the TV cable is not binding. I can operate the throttle manually (throttle cable off TBI) with ease. The throttle cable has been lubricated with 3 in 1 oil and reinstalled. When depressing the throttle it is very difficult and I will push harder and finally it will move. Now it gets better......at a cruising speed when I push on the pedal it is sticking again. I increase speed so the pedal has moved and once again it is hard to push. It doesn't seem to matter where the cable is in it's travel. I have had this cable out and back in so many times my frustration level (and blood pressure) is high. I also have put a 3" loop in the cable with it out of the truck and the cable moves great. Installed in the truck and the problem continues. At the cable mount point on the throttle pedal rod it seems the rod is too high by about an 1/8". There is a ferrel crimped on the cable that interfaces with the plastic housing that also seems to contact the plastic housing. This ferrel is in between the pedal rod and the mount that comes through the firewall.

Check your return springs on your throttle linkage, sometimes they can loose tension overtime due to heat and use, and ensure the linkage at the throttle assembly on the carb is moving freely and not binding.

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Rock Auto delivered a new accelerator cable. Just installed it and now the throttle is smooth as glass. I guess there is a difference between manufacturerers of new cables.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus