TH400 Shift Early & Soft / No KickDown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Heres to killing oneself with new-found power LOL All the wiring for the turn signals is cooked and brittle so I'm gonna re-do everything from the panel to the grill, save having to do it again later. Back on topic for a moment. I still don't really have kickdown, should I replace the solenoid? Is there a quick way to check that thing for function (ie jumpering the terminals to see if it actually works) ?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No, you don't really have kickdown, YOU DON"T have kickdown at all. Th400 is a good about downshifting itself via governor when slow down, say to turn or corner or something of that nature, but NO, you DO NOT have kickdown. You can either hook it up OEM way by changing a couple item, which is my preferance, cuz I like things much as possible espeically something this simple, OR you can buy an aftermarket kit for retrofiting to Th400 convesrion for about $40-$50. I think its to much personally.
No, I wouldn't change your solenoid. Lets get it hooked up first, then if it don't work, you can drop the pan and find out why its not working, whether it be a bad solenoid, which is very rare, or it has come disconected from the plastic/metal connection to the outside of the case. Which direction you thinking you might want to go? OEM or Aftermarket? Did you see those pics I posted above showing the kickdown gas pedal switch and what is involved there? If your pedal assembly is set up like that, then all you need is the switch and add it. If its not, then you need to change the bracket that mounts the gas pedal to the firewall, so it will accept the switch. Actually very easy but it is PITA. Only 3 bolts holding the whole assembly to the firewall.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
No, you don't really have kickdown, YOU DON"T have kickdown at all. Th400 is a good about downshifting itself via governor when slow down, say to turn or corner or something of that nature, but NO, you DO NOT have kickdown. You can either hook it up OEM way by changing a couple item, which is my preferance, cuz I like things much as possible espeically something this simple, OR you can buy an aftermarket kit for retrofiting to Th400 convesrion for about $40-$50. I think its to much personally.
No, I wouldn't change your solenoid. Lets get it hooked up first, then if it don't work, you can drop the pan and find out why its not working, whether it be a bad solenoid, which is very rare, or it has come disconected from the plastic/metal connection to the outside of the case. Which direction you thinking you might want to go? OEM or Aftermarket? Did you see those pics I posted above showing the kickdown gas pedal switch and what is involved there? If your pedal assembly is set up like that, then all you need is the switch and add it. If its not, then you need to change the bracket that mounts the gas pedal to the firewall, so it will accept the switch. Actually very easy but it is PITA. Only 3 bolts holding the whole assembly to the firewall.

Wouldnt any momentary type switch work?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sure, he could put it on a push button if he wanted to. Squarebodies, use the gas pedal switch, older cars even used a switch at the carb, that when you hit full throttle, the end of the carb linkage hit the switch, so there are several ways to do it. Its very basic and simple to do. Just depends, does he want, OEM, aftermarket or jerry rigged? Can go about it many ways. I like OEM best as said above, Not that it matters, but I'm just a bit OCD about having things the way are they supposed to be.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I would also prefer OEM as that is the way it was designed to work in the first place. And I agree the aftermarket kits (like Lokar and B&M) are rather overpriced. I will double check what is still in the truck and be ordering the needed stuff from LMC or go down to NAPA and get it for even cheaper.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidenB15