Th400 kickdown issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hell, I don't even have the switch hooked up on mine. I thought that was what the shift lever was for. Lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In other news, someone was asking about not being able to downshift to first at high speed. I believe that is a built-in safety feature in the TH400 valve body. If you really want to be able to do that, and possibly blow up your engine in SPECTACULAR fashion you can install a Transgo 400-1&2 shift kit. It will allow you to take control and downshift at any time. Otherwise I don't think the TH400 would let you downshift to first at that speed.
That is correct. I've even seen claims that if you leave it in manual 2nd the transmission can still shift to 3rd in the right conditions. The shift kits disable that feature too. Honestly, I think that is more of a Ford thing, not GM. I've never had a GM transmission left in 2nd go to 3rd gear and I've been up 7500 rpm in 2nd and it never went to 3rd. Most stock V8 engines aren't going to get to 7500 rpm so when does this 3rd override happen to protect the engine and transmission? :shrug: Now the downshift to 1st is true, and I'm pretty sure that feature stays in tact with a shift kit even when referring to the kick down switch. What the shift kit does do, is allows you to choose 1st gear manually at any rpm and yes it will go into first where as if it was stock transmission and you put it in 1st at high rpm, it won't go into 1st until the governor gives the OK to do so.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think that is more of a Ford thing, not GM. I've never had a GM transmission left in 2nd go to 3rd gear and I've been up 7500 rpm in 2nd and it never went to 3rd. Most stock V8 engines aren't going to get to 7500 rpm so when does this 3rd override happen to protect the engine and transmission? :shrug:
Nope, Ford C6 will not shift to the next gear in manual low or second, but GM's will, I've never had/driven a 400 or 350 that didn't do it, unless someone was in there and did changes, it's even in the GM tech pages, and I don't think Transgo would have went through all that effort to make a reprogramming kit to prevent that, just sayin.. :D

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I know that mine won't kick down above 50-55 mph, just the 4-barrels kick in. It gets up and goes, maybe because it is already turning close to 3,000 rpms. Well, the vortec heads help a bunch too...:insane:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus