TH350 does nothing when going into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
My '87 has a non lockup TH350 and was pulled out over a year ago and went back in without any problems. Hooked everything up that we disconnected then and even went on a drive to make sure everything was copacetic. After we got the motor back in a few weeks ago and actually running on its own power, I hooked up my brake booster to the manifold and moved my car parked in front of the truck, because I wanted to move it finally after a year of sitting. Well put my foot on the brake and grabbed the gear shift lever and moved down to drive....and nothing happened. Thought it might be because I forgot to hook the modulator vacuum line to the manifold. Shut the truck off and make shifted a connection, that was not leaking, to the manifold port next to the pcv on the carburetor. Started back up and still nothing, not even the idle down when it goes into gear. Reverse lights light up but nothing moves.

What should I look at first or where do I begin? Will low fluid cause this? That is one thing I did not check because I was not thinking about that at the time. I fear of pulling the transmission out right after we just got the motor back in and mated up to the transmission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
well might have figured it out. after getting my exhaust buttoned up today I ran the engine up to operating temps and remembered to check the dipstick. no wonder it probably hasnt leaked with the new stick is bc theres no fluid on the dipstick. I suppose it leaked that much out when we pulled the motor last year. I didnt have any in the garage so I will attempt to fill it this weekend and see if that makes a difference.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was gonna say, check fluid first but if that was good, you didn't get the torque converter in synch with the pump gears during the install. So is it working now after adding some fluid? Since it wasn't moving, it usually doesn't hurt them to be without fluid like this.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I was gonna say, check fluid first but if that was good, you didn't get the torque converter in synch with the pump gears during the install. So is it working now after adding some fluid? Since it wasn't moving, it usually doesn't hurt them to be without fluid like this.

That's the next thing I'm afraid of having to check. I didn't have any extra fluid in the garage and couldnt go get any at the time. Okay I was worried that I might've fried the transmission with the engine running and revving on little fluid inside the case. I know there is some bc the converter never came off the transmission while the engine was out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's the next thing I'm afraid of having to check. I didn't have any extra fluid in the garage and couldnt go get any at the time. Okay I was worried that I might've fried the transmission with the engine running and revving on little fluid inside the case. I know there is some bc the converter never came off the transmission while the engine was out.

No, in most cases, in MOST, but not all, auto transmissions in a low fluid situation like that, since there is no fluid to compress clutch drums, apply servos to tighten bands and such, nothing can really burn up. Pushing or towing down the highway without fluid or motor not running is another story. So long as the driveshaft wasn't spinning where lube would be needed in the back of the case, it should be fine.

Hopefully just a few quarts low on fluid.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
No, in most cases, in MOST, but not all, auto transmissions in a low fluid situation like that, since there is no fluid to compress clutch drums, apply servos to tighten bands and such, nothing can really burn up. Pushing or towing down the highway without fluid or motor not running is another story. So long as the driveshaft wasn't spinning where lube would be needed in the back of the case, it should be fine.

Hopefully just a few quarts low on fluid.

fingers crossed that nothing is messed up. although I do have a pare TH350 in the garage that has a shift kit... so I am prepared I just dont want to go through taking the old out and putting new in... Ill let ya know Friday if it was just the fluid low or not.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Good deal lol tranny fluid who new

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool. I figured as much. Shouldn't be any harm at all done to it then.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Was wondering about this. Glad to hear it.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Was wondering about this. Glad to hear it.

thank you sir. so far so good! put down some cardboard after the road test and let it sit over night. no leaks so far. the new flexible dipstick is holding tight and new the new modulator is snug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man