TBI Swap....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
why go with painless and pay more money when you have the stock ones?

I agree. I won't painless anything. To proud of their stuff. And its very painful. Painful in the right ass cheek where I carry my wallet !!! I see TBI harnesses on eBay quite often.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All the connections/wires are labeled what they are for, and it only includes the wires that are needed for the FI itself. There's no sorting through which wires are which, and figuring out what you need or don't need. It's also new, so there's no broken connectors, burnt/oily wires, etc.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're right bucket, but damn, I just think they are way to much in cost. Most OEM harneses I come across, they are pretty straight forward too. The connectors can only go to one sensor since they all have differant plugs. I certainly agree with making a profit, but I think they make alot more profit than necessary. I also think they'd sell an assload more product if their prices were more reasonable. You know once they get the jig set to make harneses, its a cake walk after that. That would be my only compaint though. I have seen a couple painless harnesses and no doubt they are good. Price would be my only complaint.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I certainly agree with that. They could lower the prices some and still make money.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
what's in the harness stock you don't need? They don't need to be labeled IMO if they have the plugin on them, they only go in one plug. Now I could see them having stuff on them not needed but I aint exactly sure what all it is.

If I had the cash I'd buy their stuff anytime, but is everything wired ready to plug and go? If I bought it, for that price it better be lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There are wires that aren't just a simple plug in. Things like VSS, brake switch, power wires and whatnot need to be wired in. The factory harness will have useless stuff like charcoal canister purge valve and other emissions stuff.

It's all a personal choice based on what you are willing to spend, and how scared you are of wiring.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
it's all a personal choice based on what you are willing to spend, and how scared you are of wiring.

nailed it !!!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
eh like I said if I bought their kit I'd hope at that price to not have to do any real wiring other then plug and play.

As for wiring on stock not a problem to do so when I spend cash. I was thinking the vss crap was involved, and the brake light for the abs crap. Well switch for it.

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The previous owner did a create 92 TBI motor in my 85... I live in Sacramento and have never had any issues with smog. He said the hardest part about the swap was the wiring, you need to add a computer, but that can all be yanked from a yard. I dont how easy it was to actually make it "legal".. He had to go through a bunch of paperwork with CHP and BAR. Made it very easy for me to smog it though. I now have a bar code on the inside of my door-jam, with all of the trucks info and when I pull it in, The smog tech scans my bar code and then smogs my truck to the specs of a 1992 TBI 5.7!! This works out great for guys like us in Cali, because with this set-up you dont need a smog pump or really any smog equipment besides EGR and a cat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising