Tailshaft / Driveshaft yoke - how far out from the housing is ok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
All,

I feel like my tailshaft is sticking WAAAY too far out of my 9" tailpiece on my th350c.

This pic is with rear wheels on the ground, front jacked up so front wheels are just off the ground.

That's 1.75" exposed. ???

You must be registered for see images attach
)

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Looks like a bunch to me too. That part isn't much longer than that either..you oughta take the driveshaft loose at the rear-end and see how much contact it's actually making. Put some tape on it or something to mark the spot and you'll need something to catch the little bit of trans fluid that will follow it out. I bet there isn't an inch of conract inside there!

Good lookin out. Reckon that is fhe incorrect part installed. A different part will be your solution.

Not like it's the end of the world but most guys like sleeping easy.

I bet @Awoschmotors has one he'd sell ya. I don't have an extra.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
It looks the seal has been riding between where the seal is now and where the weld is. What has changed for the yoke to come out that far? Just jacking up the front tires? What's it look like with all four on the ground? Just having the front jacked up should not make a difference, but who knows it might.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You may be in the market for a longer driveshaft. Look for a shop in your area for an "expert" opinion.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Is this a long bed with a two-piece driveshaft? For most driveshafts you would check with maximum suspension compression, disconnect the driveshaft from the rear axle and then bottom out the yoke in the transmission. Make a mark on the yoke where it rides on the seal at bottomed out. Then pull it out 1/2" to 1" and that is the correct position.

If this is a two piece shaft, you might have an issue with the center support that is allowing it to walk out.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes, the yoke should be further in the trans. So most of the trucks on this forum have had previous owners. The question is why is it not correct?

The picture in your avatar, is this the truck, lowered? When a truck is lowered the drive shaft is too long and adjustment is needed. Can be completed several ways.

Next, 1973 trucks would have a 12 bolt rear axle. Many more later trucks have a 10 bolt rear. The 12 bolt has a longer nose, would have a slightly shorter driveshaft. What rear is in your truck? Was the rear replaced?

Did the rear axle shift back in the springs? Is there broken main leaf? Are the rear springs worn out and flat, that will move the rear back.

Is the frame rusty, did it bend? That will make the drive shaft too short.

You need to look at everything in the rear suspension. If everything is good, the drive shaft is too short.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Pull it off real quick to see how much is inside

Agreed. Reason being, it could be an aftermarket yoke and they are available in different lengths.

But if it's a stock yoke, yeah, that shaft is too short.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks to all who replied so far. More info:

My truck is a '73 frame and VIN, but has the dashboard, engine and transmission from an '81 Suburban. It is lowered 4.5/6, with a rear axle flip, all courtesy of the PO.

The rear diff is a GM 12-bolt. The rear diff is noisy and probably needs a new ring and pinion set. It has a single driveshaft, that seems to be carbon fiber. I had the rear u-joint fail about a year into owning the truck.

I had my TH350c transmission rebuilt in January. I specifically asked about the yoke extention, and they said no big deal. Best case on level ground I am still seeing at least an inch of shaft there.

I've always been worried about the extention and angle of the trans/shaft/diff, but they are the right direction(s) even if the angle approaches 5 degrees. My gearhed buddy says I worry too much!

---------
So, if this is a problem, do I take it to a differential and rear end shop?

Thanks,
BRetty

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks to all who replied so far. More info:

My truck is a '73 frame and VIN, but has the dashboard, engine and transmission from an '81 Suburban. It is lowered 4.5/6, with a rear axle flip, all courtesy of the PO.

The rear diff is a GM 12-bolt. The rear diff is noisy and probably needs a new ring and pinion set. It has a single driveshaft, that seems to be carbon fiber. I had the rear u-joint fail about a year into owning the truck.

I had my TH350c transmission rebuilt in January. I specifically asked about the yoke extention, and they said no big deal. Best case on level ground I am still seeing at least an inch of shaft there.

I've always been worried about the extention and angle of the trans/shaft/diff, but they are the right direction(s) even if the angle approaches 5 degrees. My gearhed buddy says I worry too much!

---------
So, if this is a problem, do I take it to a differential and rear end shop?

Thanks,
BRetty
Does the driveshaft have a black cover on it? The newer trucks and especially Burbs have an aluminum driveshaft that has this carbon fiber looking cover; sometimes they have come off. Since your truck has been lowered, that may have changed the length the driveshaft needs to be. I have a friend who has a 400 Burb a year older than mine, who has a lift kit on his. He had this same issue, and fixed it with a longer driveshaft (custom made).

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The PO installed that drive shaft, too short. But since it has not failed then you may be okay. The drive shaft yoke angle is very important. They both should be in the same plane.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If that shaft is indeed Carbon, it probably cost more than the truck is worth. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64