Tach wire caught on fire.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WomenandthePolice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Char
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Broke down yesterday. Lots of smoke from under hood. Found a wire the previous owner had connected it shorted to the firewall. Anyone happen to have had this problem? I have not checked anything yet. Going to look at it this weekend.

WomenandthePolice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Char
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I havent had this problem, yet. But the 1992 Dodge i just bought has a ton of rub marks on the firewall from years of the wires rubbing on it. The paint is actually gone in places.

This should be an eye opener to anyone with any old vehicle to check their wiring. I know i will.

Did any fuses blow? Did you get it back started?

Use wire loom and a zip tie or two when repairing that sucker to keep it from rubbing (if that was the case).

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That green wire is "spliced" into the tach output wire. Aftermarket tachs use a green colored wire as a signal wire.

The evidence points to someone's old aftermarket tach install.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Never had a tach wire short but I had my electric choke wire short out and that was a heck of a lot of smoke. The engine was sputtering and backfiring. Thought the truck was going to burn. Anyway the factory clip from GM separated from the wire and it shorted on the intake manifold. Not fun! It's easy to see how electrical fires start so fast.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Last spring when I put my new motor in the PO had installed a tach. I didnt hook it up didnt think anything of it. I needed some new connecters so I let it dangle there. That didnt last long truck shut down and smoke rolled out of the hood. The wire grounded out and melted the coil. Put a new coil in, some tape on the tach wire and it was good to go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman