Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Then you're sitting at the same height as me. I'm running offroad design's 4in shackle flip with greasable bushings and their shorter HD shackles. I also flipped the rear overloads to where they bow down. It does have the disadvantage of potentially getting stuck on something a little easier, but you retain the bonus of an overload (even though it will take a little bit more weight to reach it). Makes for a pretty smooth ride in the rear. Little stiff sometimes depending on the shocks.

If you ditch the blocks, a shackle flip would be the softest ride for your truck. If you went with a 4in spring lift, it more than likely would still be stiff. May be perfectly fine running a set of deavers (depends on the spring rate they would use) and a nice set of shocks.

If I had the cashflow, I'd run a set of deavers in the front. But, my Tuff Country EZ Rides are more than enough for me currently. Just need a nice set of shocks.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Ok first thanks goes Mike To remove complete sway bar. 2 ton jack 4ft breaker bar for end bolts. It does ride better then,with Sway bar. Then more Thanks to Chris,I think your right .On this tank Susp. That has been my point If I could get away with just 4 or 6in off the self easy ride springs.Also shackle kit.Get descent ride Then I would think of keeping truck. I PD 2,800 as of today total in truck 3 grand. Zero rust anywhere. When I stated drop 8/10 grand in truck,I was not talking about Leaf springs. I was talking about renewing Interior,all brakes/drive line/It has 3.06 Or close to it gears needs 4.10 or 4.56. The 700r needs to go ,Turbo 400/or stick shift.So please keep Ideas coming,Before I sell this thing. Also needs to get AC/heater fixed. With this truck in baja any work I dont want to do. Labor is very cheap, but parts cost.

I'd be willing to bet there's someone out there who'd be willing to trade their lower geared setup straight up for what you've got.. I for example have an extra TH350/208 with 3.73 on 6 bolt axles I'd trade, but I am way over in WI..

For use, transmissions, engines, axles, etc are dime a dozen, find 'em anywhere, but all the bodies are shot. I see guys from the sout and west scrapping trucks that would go for thousands for just the cabs and fenders.. So it's got a dent or two, at least there aren't holes in it you could throw a basketball through,and the frames aren't all cracked and pitted.. Someone really ought to set up a business of bringing engines and running gear down south and west, and hauling bodies up here.. There's GOT to be money in that!

bajatrailrider

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Im thinking to remove overloads,for better ride.Rear of truck,when you hit bump. First few inch soft,then you can feel it hit rear overload. Then bad fast rebound,what is your take remove overload for better ride, remember Truck will not carry any load in back. Also has 4 shocks on front,maybe try removing two of them for test. After more testing driving truck,without front sway bar. Noticeable difference. Does my rear spring pack look stock? Thanks for your help.

bajatrailrider

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'd be willing to bet there's someone out there who'd be willing to trade their lower geared setup straight up for what you've got.. I for example have an extra TH350/208 with 3.73 on 6 bolt axles I'd trade, but I am way over in WI..

For use, transmissions, engines, axles, etc are dime a dozen, find 'em anywhere, but all the bodies are shot. I see guys from the sout and west scrapping trucks that would go for thousands for just the cabs and fenders.. So it's got a dent or two, at least there aren't holes in it you could throw a basketball through,and the frames aren't all cracked and pitted.. Someone really ought to set up a business of bringing engines and running gear down south and west, and hauling bodies up here.. There's GOT to be money in that!
Thats the only good thing I got going no rust,great body. Since my truck is in Baja.Not to many chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 used parts. The Garage down the street has a 1ton 1987 chev drive train SM 4Speed/205 transfer/front rear diffs 4.10.He also has some turbo 400 trans out of Jeeps. This 700r has to go. I would like standard trans,but maybe more easy to go turbo 400.Since the truck will not be highway driven,low gears needed.

bajatrailrider

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Oh yea would love to trade my (It says Standard Gear ratio) G80 on glove box tag. Would trade for low geared diffs,could deliver to San Diego. Dont know why I cant post in Trade posts ?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Hey baja, any update on the truck thus far?

I'd flip the overload first before pulling it all the way out. You'll keep the towing capacity from the overload, but it will engage much later. This would allow you to have more smoother travel before you hit the overload.

If you're entirely sure that you won't be using it for much hauling, then you would probably be happier with just pulling the overload out.

Shocks may be a big issue in that they may be currently way too firm for your intended usage.

Rear leaf pack looks stock to me.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
If you want to set up a suspension you first need to know what your goals are? Front springs not stock they came originally with a 2 or 3 leaf tapered spring for improved ride. I always run the 2 leaf on a stock truck. Prefer Dayton or Triangle for quality. I never used "Deaver." I always made the custom lengths myself. Flipping the overload will only minimally help. I wouldn't consider that and I definitely wouldn't remove it. It's a safety issue. I worked suspensions for 25 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
A short bed truck that is lifted will not ride good. You can get them okay but it takes coil overs and a 4 link if you want it nice. Not a cheap undertaking. Those rear springs in the picture appear aftermarket as well. Wrong taper on the end of the spring leaves. Shocks made as a stock replacement should NOT stiffen your ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bajatrailrider

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for both of your comments. As far what are my goals for this truck. Im a retired guy,have a home in So Cal. Also Baja/ mex man cave,have so much fun dirt biking/4 wheeling. I now stay here most of the time.I already have Dodge diesel 4x4/jeep/Nissan 4x4 turbo diesel/ Toy off road truck 28in travel/4x4 bronco. So why did I buy this 82 chevy 4x4.Nut case I have always wanted one,this truck no rust,perfect paint. I got it for 2800. I have total now in it just 3 grand. I removed front sway bar,also it had bolt on Over load springs mounted on top of rear Susp. Removed those also,all this did help ride. Also I do know leaf (and agree with you) never will a leaf front end.Be like a spring front end.As I stated already My Toy has Deavers in the rear,it rides like a dream. As far as what do I want this truck for. Not ever hauling anything ,just driving off road having fun. As far as removing factory overload,right or wrong. I removed it from my Dodge/and Nissan when I lifted them. The Dodge has towed 40ft house trailers it a 96 to date no problem.I started to add up what I need to do to this good looking truck.The 700r has to go/the axle gears are 3.07 or close,AC/heater not working/widow regulators/ front seat/susp And more. Even the 350 is gutless. So I got a buddy 50 miles from here that has a 84 suburban 4x4 6in lift/3/4 ton 4.11 gears/turbo 400 trans/create 300Hp/Ac/heater everything works/nice big 8lug wheels/new off road 35s. I could get this truck for 2,000 to 2,500.Seats/dash everything like new.It would be cheaper to buy it/put everything that fits on my pick up.I know the rear springs wont fit. Then buy better Susp. So Im thinking try to sell my truck for 3 grand to get my money back.Or buy the Burb and make myself lots of trouble. Here is some pictures of some of the junk I already have. :shrug:

Attachments

• PTDC0271.jpg
    PTDC0271.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 135
  • CIMG3855.jpg
    CIMG3855.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 137
  • PTDC0232.jpg
    PTDC0232.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 129

Forum statistics

Threads