'81 C30 Regular cab DRW Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RottenSquare

Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Was not able to already find the answer here.... so forgive me if its me answered 1000 times. . .

But I am in the middle of bringing a C30 Regular Cab dually back to life. With the body off, I would like to lower it a couple inches.
Was looking at the Belltech 728 kit (3/4 drop, with the nitrodrop2 shocks) But Belltech says it will not fit a Regular cab, the claim it is only for a Crew Cab dually. Does that sound right? Is there a difference in suspension between the Crew Cabs and Regular cabs?
I have not been able to find a specific kit that states it will work for a regular cab?

What is everyone doing to lower their trucks?
Like I mentioned not looking for anything crazy, maybe 3 or 4 in the rear and 2 or 3 in the front.
Currently rebuilding the rear leaf's, so I can remove a couple of the additional leaf's, but what would be a good option for the front end?

Just remove couple leafs and cut a coil out of the front?

This is just a weekend cruiser, no extensive road trips to worry about tire wear, or discomfort

RottenSquare

Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
To add further, I may have a set of springs from a 67 C10, wondering if anyone has tried throwing those in before. According to rockauto they are just a touch smaller then the stock c30 springs.

Attachments

• springs.JPG
    springs.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 13

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't know what would be different on single cab vs. crew cab other than possibly a driveshaft issue.

I have a crew cab and plan to do a mild lowering on it.
My plans as of now and they have changed a few times is to do a drop spindle up front.
For the rear, I plan to have new leafs made at the local spring shop for a softer ride when empty and either an airbag or timbren set-up for hauling/towing.
Also, sulastic shackles.

I've also considered doing a flip kit and then having springs made to raise it back up level and soften the ride.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
@RottenSquare I'd highly recommend switch suspension. If you are serious about lowering your truck a couple inches, call these guys up first and let them know what you would like to do, they will tell you exactly what to buy for a kit--Or tell you exactly what you need to get from them to do it right.

I used them for my 6/8 drop on my dually 1-ton (originally a single rear tire, dually kit added back in the 80's) so imagine my confusion on this one! I talked to them, they said "oh, we got you covered on that, here is the kit you want" and I was done! I called them back up to verify my front brake setup and they told me exactly which one I had (no idea there were different front brakes)..

Good guys to work with, and I am extremely happy with how mine turned out.

Here below is the link to my thread, you can check out what I had to do for the 6/8 drop.

RottenSquare

Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
@RottenSquare I'd highly recommend switch suspension. If you are serious about lowering your truck a couple inches, call these guys up first and let them know what you would like to do, they will tell you exactly what to buy for a kit--Or tell you exactly what you need to get from them to do it right.

Thanks! I am looking into the following now through Switch. . .
The western Chassis Shackle/Hanger 4" kit and the Western Chassis 3" coil for the front.
I plan on also adding the ND2 shocks all around.

Wondering if anyone has any opinion or feedback on doing that sort of a drop?
Will a Shim kit be needed for correcting pinion angle?
Anything else to look out for or expect?

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks! I am looking into the following now through Switch. . .
The western Chassis Shackle/Hanger 4" kit and the Western Chassis 3" coil for the front.
I plan on also adding the ND2 shocks all around.

Wondering if anyone has any opinion or feedback on doing that sort of a drop?
Will a Shim kit be needed for correcting pinion angle?
Anything else to look out for or expect?
As for your suspension plans, I'd do a spindle up front to maintain ride/ geometry as best as possible. You can always trim a coil or install a drop coil if you want more later.

I've seen people address the pinion angle various ways; nothing, shims, 1 piece shafts, drop carrier bearings, etc.

If for some reason you change your mind and decide to go low, as far as I know, only Empire Fabrication notch maintains the frame strength as original on the C20/30. However it costs 4x as much, weighs 3x as much, and takes a lot longer to install.

RottenSquare

Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Awesome thanks for the input everyone !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads