Stupid dodge tranny...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's a fact the ATSG manuals are revised, corrections made and things added.

I'm still blown away about this though. I'da thought Eddie was crazy as hell if he didn't post that text. Input shaft endplay is dependent upon the tail end of the transmission being installed. That in itself just tells me I don't like that transmission. Imagine the thrust pressure put on this transmission from front to back?

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
It's a fact the ATSG manuals are revised, corrections made and things added.

I'm still blown away about this though. I'da thought Eddie was crazy as hell if he didn't post that text. Input shaft endplay is dependent upon the tail end of the transmission being installed. That in itself just tells me I don't like that transmission. Imagine the thrust pressure put on this transmission from front to back?

Not to mention this tranny is EXACTLY like bolting on an OD unit to a 727/904..

In my mind, you'd set it up like you would a 727, before you put it all together, with the valve body, and servos, etc, so you can pressure test everything before you add the valve body, servo's. I mean, I would have done it in reverse order of disassembly, which you take OD off first..

Just blows my mind.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I totally agree. IMO, goes to show how lazy Diamler Chrysler engineers are. Rather than design a new transmission from the ground up when it came time for OD, they just added a gear vendor (of sorts, cuz GV is strong and an underdrive too) to the tailshaft. I've often wanted to play with one and see if it could be adapted to fix and work on a Th350 or Th400. GM and Ford had balls enough to start from scratch. Sure it made for some growing pains and many failures but they didn't **** out.

GM must finally have it going on in the transmission world. Not sure if it's common knowledge yet or not, but many of the transmissions in Fords for the last several years and going forward in the new 10 speed auto that's either in trucks now or coming out in the near future, they're GM transmssions. There's a FWD 6 speed, a RWD 6 speed that's common in trucks and now the new 10 speed auto. They're a GM transmission design and modifired bellhousings, input and output shafts to fit Ford Converters and driveshafts just so they won't interchange into GM vehicles and given a Ford model name but they are GM transmissions. There's even been a small fleet of Fords hanging out the GM Powertrain Division where they R&D transmissions.

Fastereddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That OD unit is made by New Process. And of course, GM is the best. Lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Of course, Dodge don't build much. You buy a Dodge truck, it has a Cummins engine, Aisen or New Venture transmission and Dana Axles.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I was using this as a guide, but I guess when it says "when assembled" it actually means FULLY assembled with OD unit on..

http://www.atraonline.com/gears/1997/1997-11/gnov97p10.htm

Just crazy to me. There's a LOT of end play when the OD unit is not on this one. I mean like A LOT!!

This is the manual I am using..

shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/42RH.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus