Stock M1008/CUCV Suspension Questions/Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Yes negative arch three leaf packs on a CUCV

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I don’t have many pictures that show the arc of the stock spring under load. Here’s one with it visible on the left. It’d be even more exaggerated with a 6.2l over it.
You must be registered for see images attach

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Just trying to lower the truck so I don't have to climb into the engine bay to finish up the wiring and engine swap. When I'm happy that's all squared away I will look into a small lift. I'd like to keep the towing/hauling capacity high. Do the stock springs have better ride quality under load?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Just trying to lower the truck so I don't have to climb into the engine bay to finish up the wiring and engine swap. When I'm happy that's all squared away I will look into a small lift. I'd like to keep the towing/hauling capacity high. Do the stock springs have better ride quality under load?
Stock 1-1/4ton CUCV springs will not ride great no matter what...unless you plan on running around with an ambulance body on it. In other words, they’re probably not worth hunting down. You should look at your average load and go from there.

The front springs were designed for a 6.2l diesel and now you have an LS. Significant weight difference there. I picked up a set of ORD custom springs which de-rate my truck from its original 1-1/4 ton designation to less than 1/2 ton. I’m using them in conjunction with air bags for the rear, which are pretty cheap.

Short of a 4-link and coil overs, that’ll be your best all around combo. The ORD springs arent cheap, but neither are Deavers, Alcans, etc. and I’d assume nobody knows square body spring rates better than ORD.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I have been looking at ORD. I wanted to be able to use the truck has an HD to tow my tractor or car trailer.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Since I had a leaf broken on each side of my truck, I had the re-builder remove one to improve ride quality. I still have the upper over loads. Ride is a little better, but not much.

In the picture, I have 2300 LBS of river rock in the bed. It just started to hit the upper over loads. I would recommend Frankenchevy's suggestion. Run a lighter spring in the rear, with supplemental air bags, that way you have the ride quality unloaded, but the capacity when you need it. My last K15 was the best riding square body I've had. I ran Tuff Country EZ Rides in front with the stock 6 leaves rears. You don't need to over spring the front, you just need the bigger braking system.

You must be registered for see images attach

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Anyone in the Mid-Atlantic have a used set of 1-ton front springs I can buy?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000