Stereo Upgrade Issue!!!!! Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlecIsaacMullen

Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 5.7
So heres my situation, its extremely frustrating because I don’t know why its not working Ive installed dozens of car stereos without issues. I installed a 5 channel amp w/ 4 speakers and sub in my 79 C20 a couple weeks ago. It sounds really nice but I was running a cord directly to my amp from my iPod or iPhone. I wasn’t getting the volume I was looking for so I decided to conceal a head unit somewhere. I didn’t want to do this originally because I want to keep the original look with the radio and did not want to buy one of the retrosound remakes. Anyway I found out the deck I had would fit perfect in the glovebox. I took the dashpad off and pulled the wire harness from the back of the stock radio, I patched into the black and yellow wires I used the black as ground and the yellow as the accessory because from what I understand the stock radio didn’t have a constant power? So I thought my issue was I didn’t have a constant power. I spliced the power to the accessory just to see if it powered on when the truck was on, I got nothing. The radio should have powered on correct? Anyway I would like to know what a good constant power to use would be, if you know the color of the wire aswell that would be awesome. PS. Ive checked the fuses in the fuse box, they aren’t blown. Also the stock radio still turns on so I know the wires have power, so unless my T claps aren’t connecting I don't see what the issue is.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Grab a volt meter and verify. Radio needs both non switched and switched hot wires.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Orange from the cigarette lighter is a good constant to tap

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Before I disconnected the now faceless stereo, I found the PO had run a single wire from the stereo to the headlight spot of the fuse box. I had to keep the face unplugged to keep the radio off when the truck was off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoundBody