steering wheel is out of position need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86squarebodycg

Reaction score
First Name
luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So I'm brand new to this site and anyway my strong wheel has done a 180 from its original position. How do I fix this?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
unbolt the lower steering shaft from the column, take it off the column, turn wheel 180 and reinstall?

86squarebodycg

Reaction score
First Name
luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
thanks for the tip but I couldn't pull it away from that gear box. any other suggestions?

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Check youre drag link the sleave my be stripping out or moved

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You should include a little background with a request like this. For example when you say:

my strong wheel has done a 180 from its original position

You might want to mention whether it happened all at once or gradually.

Maybe say whether you just bought the truck and it was like that or you've had it all along.

Is the fact that it is out of index causing any problems with steering?

Anyway if it drives okay like it is now and just looks stupid - there's 2 ways to fix it.

At the steering wheel:

Just pop the horn button, pull the horn contactor ring out, release the wheel to column nut. Then, using a puller, pull the steering wheel off the shaft splines. Temporarily push the wheel back on to the splines and test drive. On a straight street, remove your hands and see if the steering wheel cross bar is horizontal. If not stop, pull the wheel off and try another spline set. Do this until satisfied. Go home and reassemble.

Second option - at the center drag link:

Go under the truck and on the left hand side locate center drag link. It connects the pitman arm to the steering arm and is shown as item 17 below:

You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a trick that is possible (although nobody believes me) with a "center drag link" setup. I wrote this awhile ago and was told that it was wrong - it isn't:

If your steering wheel is offset (either CW or CCW) while traveling straight ahead - it can be easily trued up by shortening or extending the effective length of the link.
Just glide to a stop (hands off the steering wheel). Your tires will be pointing straight ahead. Leave the steering wheel unlocked and loosen the clamps on the adjusting sleeve. Then with an assistant watching the steering wheel, turn the sleeve. The wheel will turn (either in the correct direction or not) if it gets worse, turn the sleeve the other way. It only takes about a 1/4 turn to move the wheel spokes about 45 degrees. This doesn't affect your front end alignment (both tires move in unison) only the index of the steering wheel. Much easier than adjusting both tie-rod ends!

Last edited:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for posting that info Chengny! The steering wheel is off about 45 degrees in my K10 and I've been wondering if turning the adjusting sleeve wouldn't work. I'll add that to my list of things to do this weekend.

Is there a torque spec on the clamp bolts?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Haynes specs the "steering connecting rod clamp nut" as 40ft-lbs.

I just reef down on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waterboy1234