Steering problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh good to know! Thankx

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh good to know! Thankx

Yep, I forget what company makes them now, Retro will know that too. The auto manufactures don't make them, they're made by an outside company. Kinda like New Venture Transmissions, New Process Transfer Cases, Spicer/Dana Axles etc. It may be Saginaw that makes the steering gear boxes. I forget now for certain. :shrug:

jls7707

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Finally a good box..

So, yesterday I yanked the crap box back out of the truck and got a replacement. New one is installed and is almost perfect! There is a little slop, roughly an inch back and forth but I am not complaining. Got a dual steering stabilizer coming my way to possibly get rid of that.

Now onto the MSD, should I keep it or get rid of it?

I also have a holley Ultra Double Pumper 76650, I was thinking of swapping it for an Edlebrock. Anyone reason why I shouldn't and any recommedations?

Thanks.

Jeff

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If I was going to swap carbs, idk that I would go edelbrock. But if you want to, I'm taking mine off tomorrow and id let you have it cheap. Probably needs rebuilt. I'm swapping to a qjet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jls7707

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If I was going to swap carbs, idk that I would go edelbrock. But if you want to, I'm taking mine off tomorrow and id let you have it cheap. Probably needs rebuilt. I'm swapping to a qjet.

Why Qjet?

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Because I got tired of the 4mpg I was getting with the eddy and the geo metro type performance. Another member on here hooked me up with a guy that custom built me a qjet specific to my build. I will have it installed tomorrow and can let you know how it runs if your interested.

jls7707

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes please do! Sounds like what I need too.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I have a brand new Edelbrock 1806 and it does function good but performance leaves a lot to be desired! IMO a very crappy carb. There claim to fame is that they are simple and work well, which is not the same as perform well! Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to the quality edelbrock delivers in there products.

Q jets are very good performance carbs if rebuilt properly fixing permanently the leaky fuel well plugs the right way not just slapping JB weld over top of them!

A q jet with fixed fuel well plugs and new throttle shaft bushings will out perform any edelbrock carb on any day. Its just a little bit more labor intensive to re jet a q jet. And their really not a carb for newbies to carburetors unless you have it built to your set up and leave it alone. That being said their not that difficult to learn either.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will post pics and a review when I get it put on. I ordered it from mark at quadrajetpower.com super nice guy to work with.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Im seriously considering getting a FAST EZ EFI or a MPFI set up next time it comes to carb issues. Opens up the possibilities for electronic transmissions as well.

383/MPFI 4L80E/6L80E:)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I will post pics and a review when I get it put on. I ordered it from mark at quadrajetpower.com super nice guy to work with.

What was your final cost on that carb?

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What was your final cost on that carb?

It was $325 when it was all said and done. It's $50 less if you send him a core, which I didn't have, and also includes insured shipping back to me. Not too bad if it performs like I hope it does.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It was $325 when it was all said and done. It's $50 less if you send him a core, which I didn't have, and also includes insured shipping back to me. Not too bad if it performs like I hope it does.

Pretty good price. What did he do to the fuel well plugs? Any pics?

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pretty good price. What did he do to the fuel well plugs? Any pics?

He epoxy seals the fuel wells. I'm not sure what he uses for epoxy though. He shipped it yesterday, it will be here tomorrow and I will post pics.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You should make sure that he epoxied new plugs in to place. If he just epoxied over the plugs, they WILL leak again.

If he epoxied new plugs then your good to go! Which I would imagine any reputable guy would do.

If he installed new plugs then there is no need to have epoxy covering them. So if epoxy is smeared all over the top of the plug odds are they were not epoxied properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrenchersllc