Steering problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jls7707

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey y'all, New to the forums. I have searched here with no luck in finding a solution for my problem.

I have an 81 K10 and replaced the steering gear box with a refurbished one from Advance Auto (cardone brand). I have now swapped it out three times for defects and now the current one I have in is doing the same as the others except worst. When I turn the wheel left or right, the steering wheel will not return centered once going straight. Now with the current one, it does this plus excessive play. I cannot make any adjustments to it because it will void the warranty. Has anyone else had this problem with Cardone remans? Should I go to a different brand?? I did not have the steering wheel issue with my original box that I replaced, it just had dangerous play that couldn't be adjusted.

Next question:

I bought the truck with an MSD ignition system in it, I was told that if I wanted better gas mileage and didn't really need benefits of the ignition system to get rid of it and go back to stock. Any thoughts on this? My truck is my daily driver (70 miles) a day so better gas mileage would be ideal (10-15).

Thanks in advance!

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well I have heard nasty stuff about cardone. I have used a few of their parts with success, but I have heard horror stories otherwise. I'd get your money back and try a different brand. If they give you crap then kindly explain how many times you have changed out junk "new" parts...

How are you installing the pitman arm? Are you just bangin it on there or using a press?

No clue on the MSD issue. Sorry!

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Remanufactured gear boxes are not what they are all cracked up to be. The only thing they replace for the most part is the bearings and rubber seals. The worn out worm gears & shaft gears seem to get overlooked for some reason, and don't get replaced. I had to return a reman box 3 times, before I got a decent working one. Its a hit and miss situation with remans.

jls7707

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I have heard nasty stuff about cardone. I have used a few of their parts with success, but I have heard horror stories otherwise. I'd get your money back and try a different brand. If they give you crap then kindly explain how many times you have changed out junk "new" parts...

How are you installing the pitman arm? Are you just bangin it on there or using a press?

No clue on the MSD issue. Sorry!

That's what I was thinking too, The pitman arm slides on pretty easily, no banging or press needed. I am going by Advance today to see about a different brand, hopefully they will let me hang on to this box til the new one comes in.

jls7707

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Remanufactured gear boxes are not what they are all cracked up to be. The only thing they replace for the most part is the bearings and rubber seals. The worn out worm gears & shaft gears seem to get overlooked for some reason, and don't get replaced. I had to return a reman box 3 times, before I got a decent working one. Its a hit and miss situation with remans.

Yea I read that somewhere else too. What brand did you go with? I heard AC Delco has problems too.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Im having the same issue with my reman junk. I have an original box that im gonna take to the gear shop and have it rebuilt properly. Maybe ill see if I cant get the parts and do it my self.

83silverado

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
chevrolet silverado
Engine Size
anyone made a homemade crossover steering kit?

jls7707

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Im having the same issue with my reman junk. I have an original box that im gonna take to the gear shop and have it rebuilt properly. Maybe ill see if I cant get the parts and do it my self.

Let me know how that goes!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've seen 3 different guys tear into power steering gear boxes and ended up trashing them. I also here many remans are junk since most discount auto parts stores carry cheap brands that taken apart, examined and replaced what's needed only and within their very liberal tolerances. I hope if I never need one I can find a new one. I'm sure it'll last the rest of my life, instead of spending my life replacing them all the time.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I've seen 3 different guys tear into power steering gear boxes and ended up trashing them. I also here many remans are junk since most discount auto parts stores carry cheap brands that taken apart, examined and replaced what's needed only and within their very liberal tolerances. I hope if I never need one I can find a new one. I'm sure it'll last the rest of my life, instead of spending my life replacing them all the time.

Does anyone sell brand new gear boxes?

This is the reason I am leaning towards getting the gear shop to rebuild it. They are good guys and I can have them rebuild it to new specs. Probably cost a little more then $300 if I need lots o parts though:(

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Yea I read that somewhere else too. What brand did you go with? I heard AC Delco has problems too.

I bought the Duralast from Auto Zone.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Does anyone sell brand new gear boxes?

This is the reason I am leaning towards getting the gear shop to rebuild it. They are good guys and I can have them rebuild it to new specs. Probably cost a little more then $300 if I need lots o parts though:(

Yep, probably expensive, but may as well bite the bullet and get it done right and you should never have to worry about it again. If GM can't get them new, get with @RetroC10Sport and he can tell you which Dodge gear boxes bolt right up and maybe Dodge will have a new one. Only difference in the GM and Dodge boxes is the gear ratio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrenchersllc