steering column swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novassracer12

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Im trying to put an tilt column from a late 80's truck with dimmer, turn, wiper delay into my 73 c10. The new column has the delay box still with a number of wire to hook up. my question I can someone point me in the right direction with wiring schematics or threads that this has already been covered on. also currently my wiper switch is on the dash. will that still be used with the new column? same goes for the floor dimmer switch. will it stay or go? thanks for any help

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do you want to keep your dash mounted wiper switch and floor dimmer?

novassracer12

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I want to get rid of the floor dimmer. Im short 5ft4 and live in the mountains so it gets used but its hard for me to reach. as far as the wiper switch I would like to use the column switch and just have the dash switch as a dummy switch to fill the hole in the dash.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I am pondering doing the same thing. Tilt, column mounted wiper switch and high/low selector into a pre 80 cab.

:popcorn:

novassracer12

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
yeah I have wanted to do this since I first got the truck. I have found a few threads about this but nothing showing any wiring or if it deletes the floor switch and dash switch. I know someone stated in another one of my threads I could get wiring diagrams on here but I cant find them. I went to autozones website but it is very vague with the steering column:shrug:

novassracer12

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
this is the first of many mods im going to do. Im currently looking for a set of blazer power doors. I have a set of the black power mirrors from a 91 suburban already. I will be doing a American Auto wire harness next year. I have already done the rear view mirror from an 03 suburban with compass and temp which I love. I would love to install some kind of an over head consol for my sunglasses and garage door opener and have a spot to put my smokes so they don't slide across the dash at every turn. I have a few stock tach clusters that I also need to figure out the pin outs for but cant seem to find anything n that either. Maybe its time to pass the computer over to my 6 year old daughter because I cant seem to figure this computer crap out

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
My 3 year old works our smart phones better then we do lol

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do the work involved I'm going to say this will be something you have to tackle yourself.

The job won't be difficult if you can read wiring diagrams and know how to depin plugs. Then its just a matter of match wires.

I have thought about doing this myself as having the wiper switch on the column would be much easier and efficient than on the dash. But I won't be looking into doing this well into the new year.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Dimmer switch is easy, just remove the floor dimmer and reroute the plug to the switch on the column.

Wipers are difficult, the '78 and later trucks are wired differently and you need to basically update/modify the entire system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ