Steering Column Question - Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankie

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
I have a '89 R3500 with the older style, not what is found in '89 1500 or 2500, steering column. Cruise and tilt. Question is this....tilt is about shot, can move the wheel up about 3-4 inches which makes it interesting to drive. Turn signal switch I believe is failing fast for the right as once you engage it you have to push down slightly to turn it on, then the wiper/cruise/turn lever has failed where wipers stay on all the time and end just spins. Ok, rebuild current column or attempt to find a donor with the same setup? I have looked in local yards and all I can find are the later 89 style that will not work. I have never repaired a column, one of the few things I haven't done.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
There are four screws in there that have to be threadlocked and tightened to get rid of that tilt slop. The stalk is an easy replacement with the steering column assembled, but you’ll need to get in there for the turn signal switch, which you can do while you fix the tilt. I vote repair. You don’t know what you let getting into on another column. You could incur the same or more costs as you would have fixing yours. And while there’s a chance that you may save time and money, I’m hard pressed to believe that a 27-34 year old steering column from a junkyard is gonna be tip-top. If there’s someone good around you who works on cars, ask them about doing this for you if you feel uncomfortable doing it. If you can handle small parts and buying a few special tools, it should be alright. Plenty of older GM steering column repair videos on YouTube, too.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/how-to-fix-loose-gm-steering-column.3085/

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Frankie

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
Thanks for the input. I knew the stalk was and easy, although tedious fix. Was not sure about the tilt as the whole thing moves so I didn't know if something broke or what and didn't want to rip into it to find it was toast. Luckily it's not my daily so that helps. You are right about getting a used one just as old, you just never know. As for tools, you can never have too many so it might be time to get a puller and some others that I will never use again. lol

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Its not a bad job. I did it on my former 89 and from the receipts I got from the previous owner of my current 89, it was done to this one already.

If you dont have one, you can rent the steering wheel puller from a big name parts store. You will need a steering wheel puller, steering wheel lock plate removal tool, and steering pivot pin remover. Some grease, some loctite, and any additional switches you may want to replace while you have it torn down.

Oh, and patience. Take your time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda