steering a little loose - what should I suspect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My steering is a little loose and always has been. If you hold the wheel strait, the truck will wander just a little from side to side randomly. My Dad believes it needs a new steering box. I wonder if there could be something else, like a bad rag joint.

FYI = ball joints are brand new Moog and I have lined up the front end recently.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You can adjust the steering box a little tighter and see if that helps the issue, there is a allen head fastener with a jam nut on it, loosen the jam nut and run the allen headed adjuster in clockwise a little bit. Go in small steps with lots of test drives.

If its worn out I highly suggest just buying a reman unit. I always try to rebuild everything myself and so a power steering box is the one thing I will not attempt again.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I adjusted the box last night. Made a huge difference! Drives much better and steering seems much more responsive. Thanks!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I adjusted the box last night. Made a huge difference! Drives much better and steering seems much more responsive. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. Good job Imann, reps added. :waytogo: