Starts but quickly dies, any low tech tips for diagnosis?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Are you useing a mechanical pump?

Yes. I just got the regulator installed last night and was finally able to tune the idle mix in properly. It starts and idles MUCH better now. I still have a problem wit hit trying to stall out about 3-5 seconds after start though. I'm guessing I also need to do some choke adjustment. It will now stumble and almost die, but then recover and go to the high idle like it is supposed to. Previously it would just completely die and then require flooring the pedal and cranking until it starts.

I might just leave it like it is, since I just bought a donor 1997 suburban K2500 and I'm going to swap the L29 and 4L80E into my 1980 K25.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Adjust the choke further to the notches on the left so the choke opens more quickly. Also, make sure when it's below freezing, pump the gas twice and then start it without touching the gas. If it's winter and above freezing, try just one pump and then start it without touching the gas.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If the truck starts and then dies 2-3 seconds later, and its a Quadrajet, it could be the choke pull-off. The main choke spring sets the choke plate full closed on a start-up, but then the vacuum pull-off quickly pulls the choke open a little as soon as you have normal vacuum. If the pull-off is bad or not connected you have to wait for the main choke mechanism to warm up and pull it open, which means it runs too rich (getting no air in) and may stall.

Bruce

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the truck starts and then dies 2-3 seconds later, and its a Quadrajet, it could be the choke pull-off. The main choke spring sets the choke plate full closed on a start-up, but then the vacuum pull-off quickly pulls the choke open a little as soon as you have normal vacuum. If the pull-off is bad or not connected you have to wait for the main choke mechanism to warm up and pull it open, which means it runs too rich (getting no air in) and may stall.

Bruce
Mine will do just that. Will crank back and run fine after that. Usually only does this when it's cold out, say 50f or below

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68