Starting Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The last couple of days the truck has been having trouble firing off. I will just turn and turn but wont start. Its getting fuel but dont believe its getting spark. I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor about a month ago. I am gonna replace the coil and ignition control module after work but haven't had a chance to pull it apart. Today it wouldn't start at all. My question is this. AutoZone shows modules with 5 and 7 pin. Any idea what one my stock hei dist would have? Thanks for the help.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well it was a 5 pin and got it replaced and the coil. Still no start. I have replaced everything possible on the electrical side that I can think of. Around noon I started it and drove about a mile to my moms. When I went to leave it would just turn over. I got off work and went to start it and it started right up. Drove it to a friends, replaced the coil and ignition control module. Went to start and nothing just turns over. Any ideas???? It does have power to the dist but pulled a plug and grounded it. No spark.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Pick up coil sounds like the only thing left.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Sounds like the same problem I had after I changed my cap. There is a small piece of metal that screws onto the metal part of the coil and the other end goes through the plug. Its easy to lose it if you are not paying attention while transferring all the coil stuff to the new cap, I found mine laying under the truck.

Mine would randomly start with no problems, other times I would crank on it until the battery is dead with no luck. After a while It had no spark at all.

Last edited:

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
well i went and was looking to get a pick-up coil and thought as much as I have spent ill just return everything and buy a reman distributor. It has lifetime warranty and that will eliminate all my guessing as far as distributor (I Hope). It was cheaper to go that route instead of all new parts. Plus have to take distributor out anyway to replace the pick-up. So ill replace it tonight and see what happens. Also the truck started right up this morning. Seems like something gets hot and then don't wanna work. We shall see.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well still no go!!!! All new parts and still no start. I think I have tracked it to the Electronic Spark Control Module. I bybassed it and it fired right up. Sure didn't know these trucks had all that until I read the GM repair manual for dist trouble shooting. Guess just something else to order.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Well still no go!!!! All new parts and still no start. I think I have tracked it to the Electronic Spark Control Module. I bybassed it and it fired right up. Sure didn't know these trucks had all that until I read the GM repair manual for dist trouble shooting. Guess just something else to order.

I totally forgot to mention that. That was the first thing we did, how were you instructed to bypass it? Was it jumping wire A to wire D or some **** like that, I seem to remember it being a green wire.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I totally forgot to mention that. That was the first thing we did, how were you instructed to bypass it? Was it jumping wire A to wire D or some **** like that, I seem to remember it being a green wire.

Yea it was something like that. I dont have my book in front of me but it worked. I ordered one from NAPA and it was like $75.00. It should be here Friday so hope it works.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yea it was something like that. I dont have my book in front of me but it worked. I ordered one from NAPA and it was like $75.00. It should be here Friday so hope it works.

You can actually phase out the ESC, in fact its better to do that. The system is designed to retard your timing when the knock sensor detects pre detonation, thats all it does. I got an aftermarket HEI from Mr.Clean that completely phased out the ESC system, you can also just jump those wires like you already did to fix the problem. You will not have any problems running the truck without that ESC, that was one of the first things I did to mine and I have never had a problem with pre detonation.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yea I should have. When I build a different motor I will def phase it out. Just trying to keep it going till then.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yea I should have. When I build a different motor I will def phase it out. Just trying to keep it going till then.

What I am sayin is you dont have to spend 75 bucks on a new ECM, they are pointless. If you leave it bypassed you wont have any problems, From everything I gathered reading about its just some old school failed technology that does nothing beneficial. If you leave your distributor bypassed to phase out the ECM you should have no problems.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What I am sayin is you dont have to spend 75 bucks on a new ECM, they are pointless. If you leave it bypassed you wont have any problems, From everything I gathered reading about its just some old school failed technology that does nothing beneficial. If you leave your distributor bypassed to phase out the ECM you should have no problems.

Yea I could have but I had already ordered it. O well I just got it installed and it fired right up first turn of the key. If have issues it is covered by warranty for 36 month or 36.000. But will just bypass next time. Hope to have a new motor by this time next year. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• ESC.jpg
    ESC.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 96

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra