Starter Wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masterblaster82

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
These three wires go into 2 and then connect with the positive cable to the starter, one (maybe both) appears to be a fusible link on the starter side of these blocks. My question is what is the purpose of these blocks? I can buy fusible link wire at napa but unsure if I can just wire it in and fix the heat shield without these little blocks or if they serve a purpose? My electrical knowledge is fairly limited. Any input is appreciated...

Edit: black one says 14 on the outgoing side (starter) I'm assuming that's gauge and appears to be 12 on the opposite side, the yellow one says 16 on the starter side and appears to be 2 12 gauge on the opposite side. If that helps.

You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Fusible links are 4 gauge sizes smaller than the circuit they protect. Get new fusible links, use good wire splices (get the insulated butt connectors with heat shrink and the environmental glue to seal the connection) and reassemble.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
^^^ what he said.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The 14 gauge link (the fat part Is the link) protects a 10 gauge wire and the 16 gauge protects a 12 gauge wire. IIRC, on my ‘75 truck I thought they were both 10 gauge wires, but I may be wrong. One is the alternator charge wire, and the dual feed is constant power.

The parts stores carry replacement fusible links in the Help! Or Dorman parts area, but I just use wires with fusible links from the newer GMT trucks, which I get from the pick and pull. I also upsized my alternator charge wire that way when I switched to a 94 amp 12si alternator.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris