Square Thefts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you want to keep your truck from being stolen, the best thing to look into is a starter disabling device, much like the Powerlock. If they can't start the truck chances are they'll leave it. However, even with a starter disable thieves can still push your truck (although they probably won't go far) or load it on a trailer.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
However, even with a starter disable thieves can still push your truck (although they probably won't go far) or load it on a trailer.

Park the truck with line lock engaged? :roflbow:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you want to keep your truck from being stolen, the best thing to look into is a starter disabling device, much like the Powerlock. If they can't start the truck chances are they'll leave it. However, even with a starter disable thieves can still push your truck (although they probably won't go far) or load it on a trailer.

Yeah, if they want it that bad, I'll just have to let the insurance cut me a check. I am considering doing either a starter or fuel pump kill switch as soon as I can think of a good, discrete place to put one....hmmmmmmm

People in GA, especially around Atlanta, are very fond of squares, as well as Regals, Cutlass Supremes, 80's Caddys and mid-90's Impala SS's. I live about 20 miles out, and my truck has only seen the streets of Atlanta once or twice. It's not too bad out where I live, but I still put it in the garage when we go on vacation. LOL

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Mine stays in the garage unless I'm driving it and I very rarely let it leave my site to be honest with you. Since I have had it "complete" I can count on one hand the amount of times I've parked it in a parking lot and walked into store of any kind unattended. I'm just very paranoid about someone taking it or doing some kind of damage to it cuz you never know what some jealous jack wagon is going to do or where a criminal might come from. I need to install a kill switch as well. Behind the seat or up under the dash would be a decent place I think. Behind the seat may be hard to wire up and mount, though.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mine stays in the garage unless I'm driving it and I very rarely let it leave my site to be honest with you. Since I have had it "complete" I can count on one hand the amount of times I've parked it in a parking lot and walked into store of any kind unattended. I'm just very paranoid about someone taking it or doing some kind of damage to it cuz you never know what some jealous jack wagon is going to do or where a criminal might come from. I need to install a kill switch as well. Behind the seat or up under the dash would be a decent place I think. Behind the seat may be hard to wire up and mount, though.

I hate to point this out but a kill switch isn't going to help that much on the carbureted models with mechanical fuel pumps like ours Jacob. The column on these trucks is pretty easy to pop so lets assume the thief can get that far with it. What is stopping them from then running a 12v jumper to the HEI and then using a screwdriver to jump the starter solenoid?

Speaking of thefts, I hope you guys have decent agreed value insurance policies on your trucks. If you have to go through the aggravation of having your truck stolen you don't need to get hosed by the insurance company immediately thereafter.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I hate to point this out but a kill switch isn't going to help that much on the carbureted models with mechanical fuel pumps like ours Jacob. The column on these trucks is pretty easy to pop so lets assume the thief can get that far with it. What is stopping them from then running a 12v jumper to the HEI and then using a screwdriver to jump the starter solenoid?

ahhhh....That's a good point you make :waytogo: So what is a good theft deterrent then?

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you want a deterrant, use Derek's advice and leave a pitbull in your truck. If you want to make sure someone wont be able to hot wire your vehicle when the dog isn't around check out powerlock. http://www.powerlock.com

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Hmm I like that!

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
I hate thieves!! GRRRR

Like to see 'em try and take mine..(seeings that the tranny's shot) :Big Laugh:

Hey, did anyone else trip out on those fender skirts?? woah, now you don't see those everyday

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thank God squares are seldom if ever stolen in my neck of the woods. Mine would be the very last choice of even the most desperate car thief. Being as how you can hear it coming from two counties away LOL

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
On my old wagon the hood is chained with a pad lock and a NHRA style battery disconnect sw under hood is Ok for me.My square will get the same deal now that ya got me thinking. The carb and ign system on the wagon are easily picked and would cost about 1000$ to replace.The local punks now just cut the filler hose and siphon your tank even if ya have a locking cap.Gee what a surprise on monday morning to find no gas and then to fill it and have fuel spill out all over.Little bastards better not get caught in the act.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Its nothing new, these trucks have been getting jacked where I am from for years. My dads truck never got painted because he said they would just steal it, everything else was perfect except the paint. Right after we moved out of our house in phoenix in the late 90's the guy that bought it had a really sweet red square body and it was stolen out of the same driveway my Dad parked his in. His best friend had his square body stolen from a grocery store when I was a kid, I wont ever forget that ordeal. ****....

I met this guy in lovelock Nevada with this truck.....
You must be registered for see images attach

This truck was a perfect original with good paint and everything, it got jacked from a wal mart parking lot in broad day light. The reason its covered in primer is the thieves tried primering it before they got caught. This guy ended up finding his stolen truck through someone else selling it after all the ******** and never gave up, now its got a blown motor and i covered in primer, he was very happy to just get it back.

**** im gonna go put my club on now.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
**** im gonna go put my club on now.

I wouldn't even bother with it. It might keep one of the neighborhood punks from taking your truck for a joyride, but any professional looking to snag your truck isn't going to have too much trouble getting past your club. They don't even have to cut your steering wheel now that they have tools like this out on the market: http://www.lockpicks.com/theclubbuster.aspx

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
When I was repo-ing there wasn't anything that stopped me, even hidden switches if I had time. Just remember that for any type of security, the best is to use several layers of security. Car alarm with a starter disabler, hidden ignition interrupt switch, hidden coil hot wire interrupt switch, one of those heavy duty terminal switches between the battery and starter, etc. A dog is by far the best deterrent, which is why if I see a stranger wanting to pet my dog I wont let them. My dog reads my mood very well, gets the ridge of fur up on her back and growls and barks pretty mean. I have video somewhere on this computer of my previous dog running off 2 punks from messing with our vehicles one night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman