Spark Plug Help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshuacurtis

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm looking to change the plugs in my 350. What does everyone recommend? Any suggestions on how to get old ones out? I have not tried yet but my give me issues. Thanks in advance.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
Penetrating oil maybe a few coats and a good breaker bar. Very easy on these engines. I pulled mine on my 74 2 weeks ago and put right back in. Po had replaced them 6 months back.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Definitely use some penetrating oil if they haven't been changed in a good long while. Let it soak for a few, then try and get em out. Do your best to prevent letting the socket or extension start going off center. Broke a spark plug or two that way.

I've had good luck just using a single 5-6" extension, standard spark plug socket and a half inch drive ratchet. Sometimes use the 3/8 drive ratchet since it has a flex end on it to help with the passenger bank to fit a little nicer due to the a/c system.

Always been halfway in the engine bay since there's so much room.

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Do you prefer AC Delco plugs?, they work fine, oem number.
Remember to keep spark plug socket STRAIGHT on the plug coming out and use finger tight going in, then torque with socket as required snug, if rusted tight, a little break free penetrating oil a few times like B.K. mentioned has done the trick for me when stuck too.
Tagged each wire just in case before hand, wrote cylinder number on plugs coming out and saved them to compare to previous plugs to monitor engine condition.
In the past when I could do stuff, on occasion, used some cardboard or blanket etc. for comfort while laying over fender, and taking time to do it right, a couple of different length extensions, not being in a hurry.
Also, checked gap on all plugs before install to have everything ready and maybe a tray or magnetic tray that is easy to reach when hands are down by plugs, easier to replace one wire at a time, mark cylinder number on outside of distributor cap if you want, just some thoughts.
Depending on physical condition, stretching your muscles and body for a while helps for reaching down and wrenching in the engine bay.

Joshuacurtis

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks guys. I have had the truck for 14 years. I previously changed the plugs in the stock 305 about 12 years ago but I had a 350 put in 5 years ago and I'm not sure how long the plugs have been in since the motor was used when I bought it. I was looking at them the other day and noticed they were a bit rusty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef