Should I trade for a Square?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Have a chance to trade my '02 4.8 4wd Silverado w/300k(may have been rebuilt) for an '85 Square w/ plow and I believe a 350, but will confirm. The body on the '85 is pretty Rust free and mostly straight. Its a non AC truck, has the Dumbo mirrors and manual windows and new senders with both tanks reading correctly and the switch works. Plow is the big draw for me going into winter and I've been trying to sell the '02 for $4500 for like 8 months no takers... Would you make the trade?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
300k is a heckaofva lot of miles for a 2002 rado so I'm not surprised no takers at $4500.

The question is, do you want a square body?
Yes, I rather have the square with the plow. The Rado runs like a top, everything works and there is zero leaks and the interior is clean also. Like I said, my mechanic believes the motor was rebuilt before I got it and he's the one I'd be trading with. If he believes it's worth his $5800 ask on the '85, I think I should pull the trigger.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
well i say send it then. If it ticks your square body boxes.

My main box was 4 doors and long bed. found it eventually.

you going to plow for the government in the winter? that will get you some nice square body improvements cash.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
So, why does your mechanic want to get rid of the SB? Did he bring up the trade? If so, that would make me think he's getting the better deal.
I brought it up. He listed it for $7k and has an offer of $5800. They don't need the plow since they hire out the plowing. He's got a bunch of vehicles he needs to liquidate before the snow Flys to clear the property. The only downside to the square is the column needs rebuilt or replaced. However, there is a good 85 column for sale in Oregon I could snag for $350.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
there is a good 85 column for sale in Oregon I could snag for $350.
Really? I rebuild columns and sell for $100 or so with a core trade. I need to add "Biden-flation" to my cost I suppose. Dang I need to move some of my columns at that price. Wow...

HS

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Really? I rebuild columns and sell for $100 or so with a core trade. I need to add "Biden-flation" to my cost I suppose. Dang I need to move some of my columns at that price. Wow...

HS
You probably would be able to get more for yours. Also keep in mind I'm on the worst coast where everything is about double back east prices...

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd buy a Vortec with 300k if it sounded and ran decent and the price was cheap. I also know that anything above about 250k on 4.8 is bonus time, and while I believe Vortecs are easily good for more, I wouldn't make any promises. Around me, I wouldn't get anymore than around $3500 for even a clean truck like yours without documentation on the motor work, unless I parked it under cover for a generation.
You could swap out those SB rims for a set of ralleys, rubs on that paint and have a sweet old truck, while pretty much ensuring that you could get your money back. Heck, folks are paying 4K for roller squarebodies in fair condition.
If you like the look, then yes, pull the trigger.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
You probably would be able to get more for yours.
I've got a couple that I have high marks on; they are tilt wheels for manual tranny trucks. I have a couple from 83 back and one for 84 up. They are very difficult to get hold of. I have several for automatics. Yes, being on the left side of the country (west coast, I'm not calling YOU a lefty) has to be considered in pricing as well.

HS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag