Shackle Flip Lift ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevysilverado1987

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Can someone explain to me the process of the shackle flip? Pros and/or cons to it? How much does it lift it? Thinking of going 4 inch with 35's. Either Mickey Thompson claws or TSL SX.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Using just the shackle flip frame brackets like you can get from polyperformance and your stock shackles you gain 4" of lift. Offroad Design's kit you can buy 2" extended heavy duty shackles and gain a total of 6". Basically all you do is remove the brackets off the frame for the shackles, and bolt on the new ones. I had to drill the frame rivet heads with a 3/8" drill bit so the air chisel could chop them off easier. I'm still wanting to put a couple 1" welds here and there on them to secure them to the frame but they've done fine so far on the trail just bolted on. Pro's would be cost and ease of installation, also improved pinion angle without the need for wedges. Con's would be if you haul heavy loads or pull a heavy trailer stock shackles can get pretty much destroyed from lateral forces and the added weight of towing. But for a trail rig their perfectly fine. You might find a pro or a con concerning rear driveline length. I had to lengthen my driveshaft but it was in combination with a 14-bolt rear axle swap, which has a shorter pinion. Also under compression/droop of the rear springs the way the shackles move with the flip there's not a lot of slip yoke needed. You may not need to have the length of your d-shaft altered if you're using the same rear end the truck came with. Then again if you have really flexy springs it may need shortened just a little, my slip joint actually got shorter instead of longer on droop.

Johnboy30705

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
Would it hold up while just hauling fire wood or an ATV in the bed?

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Keep in mind you net 1/2 of what the actual shackle length is (i.e. 4" shackel = 2" of lift). If your worried about centering you axle, use an ez inch from DIY4X or ORD which allows you to move your axle up to 1.5" either way.

BTW....really like my shackle flip.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Not trying to hijack the thread but...could i put a shackle flip on my truck with my 6" lift it already has?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Depends on how the rear is lifted. If you have blocks you can ditch them, get the shackle flip brackets and 6" lift shackles. But if you have rear lift springs, no, unless you like that redneck jacked-up in the ass look on your truck.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've got springs in the back

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
but i want more lift without buying a whole new lift kit.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Then yes you could use the 4" shackle flip and have 10" rear lift, and just have to buy front springs/steering correction parts and shocks.

83K5guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
So if you did a shackle flip in rear you would need just springs and different steering parts for the front

swagger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM-465/NP-205
I'm fixin to do a shackle flip, I'm using 2WD truck rear/rear spring hangers and aftermarket shackles. I will install the hangers flipped upside down and switch the left to right. Seeing that I will be installing a new frame Its a good time to use 56" springs and ditch the 4" blocks.
Steve

buRRp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm gonna be getting a shackle flip kit for the burb soon and take out the lift blocks.