SFV mechanic rec's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

APOLILLO

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 / 307
hey there!

I need a new mechanic. the one I used to use before I did my own work has gone out of business and now I have a new to me 79 shorty that is just too low to work on in my garage. I don't trust any jack stands enough for that.

The problem is no one wants to do anything to my trucks. I get a lot of we don't work on stuff that old anymore or we take one project at a time.

I live north of LA a bit and everything I know about is in Orange County which is just too far unless I ship it down for some big overhaul.

if anyone has a rec for anyone is the SFV, Ventura, or Los Angeles Valley area, I'm all ears, and thank you!

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hopefully you can find someone. That's the same story here, unless it's a hotrod shop or a restoration shop, most places won't touch these old trucks and even then, those guys are wanting big jobs, not just maintenance/diagnostic work.

I work on my slammed '85 in my garage all the time with a combination of wood, ramps, a jack and jack stands depending on what's being done. If you have a quality set of jackstands, I'd trust them more than a 2-post lift

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I am not any help, I work on my own because I don't trust anyone to do the work, and I go the extra mile. @BRetty lives in that area and he has a truck in a shop for a simple engine swap and it's been weeks or months since he dropped it off for a one to two day tops job.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn that sucks guys.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The SFV was once the mecca for the car culture but it's been deteriorating with the smog laws and such. Hard to believe that it's reduced to the point that there is a dearth of shops that cater to classics there. Used to be you could find 20 shops in Chatsworth on Canoga. Even TO BLVD in TO had a lot of shops.

I think one of the biggest problems you face is that it's $140 an hour minimum for work now.

If you need chassis work or fab work, Empire Fab in Ventura. He makes the best C30 Notches in business and does a lot of truck stuff. I bought a pedal spacer from him not too long ago.

I'd go to a local Car's and Coffee, or Bob's in Toluca Lake and see where everyone is going to get work done.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't trust any jack stands enough for that.
You may not have the right jackstands. I have 4 sets ranging in size and like Huck say's I trust the stands more than a lift. I also have cribbing if I am going to do long term work. That's as safe as you can go.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
^'Nother vote for cribbing. That's been the best thing I've ever made for the shop

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I have been meaning to build some cribs/cribbing. Definitely safer as you're not relying on jack stands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30